Help! Kitchen circuit not working and earth wire showing as live...

Sponsored Links
The only cable not connected is the one we think went to the fan ,appears to be hanging down from old fan position . Is that cable free to be removed ?
If all the connections are good ,the disconnection must be elsewhere. Your three downlights ...where is their live and neutral feed coming from ?

On this picture one of the brown wires was connected with the three red ones, do you think one of them should be reconnected?

The live and neutral feed for the downlights will be coming from the feed in this room which turned the light on

Sponsored Links
Forgot to send picture

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_180954.jpg
    IMG_20210127_180954.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 63
If the cable that the brown is from ,is just going to the old fan position ( is that it hanging down in earlier pic) I can't see how it could. Need to know if the neutrals are intact . Can you connect one of your spots ,or all three if they are connected together, by connecting their live to the switched live ,and their neutral into the wago with the two neutrals ?
If the spot lights, it will confirm that the wiring we have been working on is ok.
It's a pity you don't have a multimeter .

I know the connection coming from the switch is fine because the black wire became live when switched on?

Now I think about it, the fan had a switch but connected into nylon connectors with a blue and brown wire I think... I will have a look tomorrow as these were up in the ceiling

Ok ,I assumed the fan worked from the same switch as the light fitting.
The plot thickens !!!
Still worth connecting a spot light to confirm the neutrals are intact.

Some more pictures of the room.

One showing the temporary switch I have wired where the pull cord used to be.

Another showing the light I have connected to the wagos as suggested but the light isn't coming on but there does seem to be power? The bulb definitely works as I have just removed it from another light. I cannot use the spot lights as they don't have loose wires. I would need to cut some small length of light cable to try the spots but is that necessary?.

Another picture showing where the extractor fan was connected but none of these wires are showing as live.

Any ideas???? Really appreciate your help with this! Misses is going mad at me for not having any lights in kitchen

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_210023.jpg
    IMG_20210128_210023.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20210128_210147.jpg
    IMG_20210128_210147.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20210128_210156.jpg
    IMG_20210128_210156.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20210128_210206.jpg
    IMG_20210128_210206.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 58
Do you have access to the ceiling above ??
Without a multimeter your a bit snookered . It seems that there is no neutral connection ,your voltage sensor is no use for this .

Nope no access to the ceiling from above so would have to remove all the plasterboard if necessary.

I do have a family member popping round tomorrow who has a multimeter but what should we be looking at with it?

Measuring voltages at various points ,and some continuity checks.
Those two cables in your last of the pics above ( two brown one blue) one is in a terminal strip ,what was it previously connected to ? And likewise ,what was the other connected to ?

The 3 cables hanging down were connected to a switch on the wall for the extractor fan. I don't know what the ones in the nylon connector were connected to, they may have been connected to the switch or placed in the ceiling just above the switch sorry but can't remember

I assume the plasterboards are recently fitted ,can you remember ,before the boarding , if there are any other junction boxes ,terminal strips,or connector blocks up there ?

Nope plasterboards aren't recently fitted so I've no idea what's up above apart from what I've been able to chase out and pull down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back