Help Leaky Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

We have recently moved into a property and found out during the howling wind and rain last night that there is an inside leak above our window on the second floor.

I attach a picture but basically it appears that the previous owners put some sealant down between the window and ceilng and obviously only lasted until the water from above bulged and broke this and the drips began!

I am a DIY novice. In everyones expert opinion is the liklihood that I need to call a glazier because either the window has been incorrectly fitted or there is insufficient seal or would it be more likely there are gaps in mortar in bricks above where water is getting in and as the window is the weak point this is its choice of exit.

I haven't checked the pointing yet but I would be surprised as this appeared to be of good quality throughout.

Thanks everyone, appreciate that this will be guesswork but some idea of where to begin would be great.

Sponsored Links
If its coming through the top of the window the cause is most likely something above the window.
Can you shop external pics of:
The top of the outside of the window.
The wall above the window.
The tiles and guttering above the window

Here are some photos, the offending window is the one on the left. The seal on the outside at the top of the window seems to be fine. Therefore I am guessing the water must be coming through the brickwork?
[/img]

Sponsored Links
If water is coming through the brickwork it should be descending down the cavity wall......my guess is missing sealant above the top transom of the window.
You can only really see from a ladder though!
John :)

I would be more inclined to check the roof is sound before looking deeper into it.

more often than not the tiles may be letting water through.

Or is there possibly a leaking overflow or water tank above in the attic?
Looking at the picture there is an overflow pipe higher up. I would try and get in the attic and check for damp areas there first of all. The pipe may have a split in the cavity and perhaps the ball cock valve isn't shutting off the supply properly. A common problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back