Help! lighting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I wondered if anyone can throw any light (sorry) on my problem. A few days ago one of 3 halogen lights on my landing went - I replaced the bulb - then all 3 did not work. The other lights on the circuit were fine, so I just kept landing light off, until could be sorted.
Next day, while landing light still switched off, the switch for this lighting circuit tripped for no apparent reason, and will not re-set.
I disconnected the switch to landing lights, bit still won't reset, so I disconnected other light switches on the same lighting circuit, one at a time, until trip re-set. I started to re-connect the non culprits, only for the trip to go again when second one re-connected. When disconnected again, trip will still not re-set?!
I do intend to get an electrician, and will not do any electrical work myself, but as money is so tight, I was hoping to be able to isolate where the problem may be, as finding a fault could take many hours.
The lighting circuits are peculiar, as this circuit has all upstairs and downstairs lights, except for kitchen and cellar which are on another circuit, so it is a lot to look at!
Has anyone got any suggestions as to what may be going on, or anything else I may be able to do to ascertain where problem may be? Could it be the breaker itself, and if so is this easily discovered by an electrician and is it expensive?
Thank you so much to anyone who may be able to help.

Sponsored Links
Well the circuit breaker might be damaged but these are not expensive to replace.

Based on info you already have, I would call an electrician and tell him/her exactly what you have found so far - this is will certainly help in tracing the problem, but don't forget that the electrician should find it more quickly than you can!

SB

Its worth pointing out that the switches wouldnt isolate the whole light fitting, so disconnecting only the switch might not remove the fault.

I'd focus on the landing, are they mains halogens or 12v? if they're 12v disconnect the transformer and try again. If they're mains then there must be some sort of junction box when the 3 lights connect to the lighting circuit, i'd be wanting to look in there for loose wires.

Thank you so much for very prompt replies and advice.

I will get an electrician and was only hoping to avoid lengthy and expensive diagnostics, not repair the fault. I apologise to all good tradesmen, but I am quite phobic from bad experiences in the past.

The halogens are 12v with transformer, and I will do as suggested and check this out.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
there isn't a 60vA transformer feeding the 3 lights and you have put a 35w or 50w bulb in??

All I have done today is disconnect the transformer wires, so that at least I have the other lights, and discovered - Yes !! 1 John - I did exactly that - put a 35w bulb in!! Oops! Does that mean I have done a lot of damage to more than the halogens, or can something be done?

At least it would seem that I now know the reason for the problems.

Thanks
Anne

If you have a decent transformer it should work after you remove that 35W lamp.
They stop working if the output is overloaded but will work again once the overload is removed.

you can ust get a new 60vA transformer to replace it. don't be tempted to get a larger one to accomodate larger bulbs as the cabling may not be correctly sized.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back