Both RCDs tripping on 17th Edition Board...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted a new 17th edition (dual RCD) consumer unit in place of a very old BS3036 re-wireable fuse board. I encountered a problem when I split the upstairs and downstairs lights on to different RCD's (to ensure some lights stay on in the event of one RCD failure); When I turned on the upstairs landing light from either two way switch, both RCD's would trip. I initially thought I had a problem with the cable for the landing light that was being masked by the older less sensitive consumer unit. However, after a little thinking and further investigation I discovered that the landing light, although being supplied with the live/positive from the downstairs circuit, was picking up a neutral from the upstairs lighting circuit. Hence, when I turned on the lights there was an imbalance on both RCD search coils and both RCD's tripped. Basically the downstairs light RCD was supplying the current on the positive/live but this was not being returned on the relevant neutral and so an imbalance occurred on that RCD causing a trip. The upstairs lighting RCD was not supplying the current from the positive but was receiving it back on the neutral and hence an imbalance occurred and this RCD also tripped.

For now I have put both circuits on the same RCD until I get around to getting a neutral from the downstairs lighting circuit into the roof and can connect the landing light to this.

Hope this helps anyone who may experience a similar problem.

Sponsored Links
yes, it's called a borrowed neutral and is a well known probem that is much discussed on here...

Didn't this show up in the testing you carried out before you did the consumer unit change?

I don't want to pick but

live/positive
Are you positive about that?

Did you remember to notifiy this work before you started?

Sponsored Links
One I did earlier
Two-way-UnBalanced.JPG
Really a borrowed line but amounts to same thing.

Cure
1) Renew cable between switches with triple and earth.
2) Don't split lights (May be use an emergency light?).
3) Remove two way switching.

There are wireless switches and may be these could be used once standard two way is removed? However B&Q type will not work with energy saving bulbs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back