RCDs, lights and the "old lady on the stairs" issu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now it is common practice to use a dual RCD cosumer unit and often put the downstairs power and upstairs lights on one RCD and vice versa for the other RCD, isn't the statement above now more likely to occur more say if a faulty appliance downstairs e.g.fridge tripped the RCD and therefore the upstairs lighting probably including the landing light?

What happens if an elderly and/or infirm person is halfway up/down the stairs when the RCD trips and is relying on the landing light to see?

At least with the standard split arrangent this was unlikely to happen or even to think of it, with all socket/shower circuits protected but without the 50mm rule for other circuitry?

I would have thought the risk of electrocution was much lower than falls?

Regards

Sponsored Links
In my house the stairs are central and there are windows above each door to allow natural light onto the landing but in the case of fire it is very likely that the power will trip with either RCD or MCB protection so I used a battery backed lamp on the landing.
Although there may be more likely hood of an RCD tripping than a MCB if the stairs become dangerous during a power failure I can't see using a MCB rather than a RCD really helps as there are many more reasons why the power may trip.
Although my garage and landing have emergency lights (CU in garage) my living room does not and I have considered one can normally find ones way across the room without emergency lights as the street light gives enough light to cross room.
I personally think where two RCD's are used rather than multi RCBO system then a risk assessment should be made.
But even then mistakes can be made the last place I worked the designer or installer had forgotten the discharge lights take time to re-start and had fitted standard emergency lights instead of ones with timers that continue to work for few minutes after power is restored.
I could do with one for my garage as I always forget to switch on the light before resetting RCD so I get plunged into darkness and normally have to switch off again to see way to light switch.
But as my son pointed out RCBO also have problems where one may trip without one being aware. If lights don't work and alarm panel is buzzing one very quickly realises the power has tripped but if only sockets trip out the power can remain off for a lot longer without one realising so the fridge or freezer may overheat.
If your really worried and can afford the £300 each you can always fit the auto resetting type of RCD.

What happens if an elderly and/or infirm person is halfway up/down the stairs when the RCD trips

Regardless of what might be fitted in the way of RCDs and RCBOs, when there is a power cut, all of the lights will go off (and street lighting as well, so no light through the windows either).

Power cuts are quite common in some rural areas - several times a year.

Sponsored Links
Do Stannah Stairlifts have battery backup so Mrs O'Brady can get downstairs to reset the RCD?

Pictures Peter Kay stuck on the stairs all night.

"Whats that smell?"
"Never mind that now get me up!"

Is it really common practice to put the upstairs lights on the downstairs sockets RCD? ewwww..... stupid idea IMHO.

I often get the customer to agree to an Acel(lets say) non maintained emergency light where it may illuminate said area in such an event. Can be a little unsightly but a discreet area can usually be found. About £17.00.

Its possible to modify the emergency lights that have 2 x 8" tubes to make a neat job. I took the lamps out of the box and extended the lamp cables to 2 caravan type lamps with the guts removed. The main box and battery are in the loft and the lamps in the kitchen and bathroom. (Its a bungalow). This covers for power cuts which are regular in the sticks. (and gives me enough light to connect the invertor to run the oil boiler)

Is it really common practice to put the upstairs lights on the downstairs sockets RCD? ewwww..... stupid idea IMHO.
Yep, it is so in the event of a fault on say a downstairs lighting circuit you can still plug a lamp into the downstairs socket circuit.
RCBOs are a much better idea tho.

I really feel that the 17th goes too far with requiring RCD protection for concealed cables in safe zones. I agree with all the other RCD requirements in there, but this one (that in effect) forces lights to be on RCD is bad bad bad for the reasons stated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back