Help me choose a drill (and drill bits)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For a few years I've had a cheap Draper cordless drill, which has finally died (lots of smoke, it's definitely dead).

I'm trying to make some holes to install a pipe onto the back wall of the house (6mm, screw and plug type fixings, into rendered - I think - masonry), and that drill won't even attempt it. It gets 3mm or so in, and that's it.

I assume I need a sharper bit (or different type?), and a better/more powerful drill as well.

Not sure what to go for (hammer, SDS, SDS+...????), so would welcome some recommendations please if anyone has time to make any.

Availability of 240v supply isn't a problem for at home, but obviously haven't got access to 110v.

TIA,
Colin

Sponsored Links
Just recently a fair amount, as I've just bought a new house, but generally only occasional bits and pieces.

I use Heller Cordless Drill Bits from Toolstation and I think they really help with cordless drills and masonry drilling.

Without knowing what bricks you have there, its hard to say bur generally you can get away with a good quality cordless, otherwise if the bricks are tough for the limited use you will probably require, just get the cheapest SDS drill (Argos, Aldi, Lidl?) and continue with your Draper.

Otherwise, really consider one of the small 10.8/12v drills from Bosch/DeWalt or Milwaukee. IMO, an 18v is unnecessarily large and heavy for 95% of tasks - I rarely use mine now and that's trade use.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody, I'll have a look at Heller. The Daper is no-more sadly, as all the smoke has escaped from inside. The bricks here are fairly hard, but I'm hoping that buying a decent bit and an average drill will allow me to get through them.

If you are intending/needing to do a lot more DIY in your new home then it would be a wise investment to consider getting a decent drill and matching bits.
Buying cheaper ones is false economy once you have your own place.
Sorry I can't give recommendations to any particular ones but from a personal view I am happy with my Erbauer cordless for basic diy. For drilling brickwork it depends on the type of brick. I have soft red brick so my cordless deals with them no problem but if you have hard brick it would probably be better to go for a mains operated one with variable speed, reverse function and hammer action. And don't buy cheap bits either. Total waste of money.

+1 for Heller for drill bits, was told they make the ones for Bosch (?)

18v dewalt brushless combi drill will go through most walls, but I still crank out the cheap titan SDS (corded) for thick hefty jobs.

If you're drilling anything but the softest masonry, then I'd suggest go corded, and get an SDS type hammer drill.

I have a dewalt 18v cordless which does well enough on cinderblock and soft facing brick, but doesn't cope with the tough brick in my current house, thus the SDS is a must, it'll breese through the toughest concrete and dense engineering brick.

Regardless of the drill type, the key is not to go too fast - don't overheat the tip of the drill bit, it'll dull and you'll be there all day.

I have used SDS drills many times but, I've never owned one.
For general use around the home, they are overkill.
Any 240V corded hammer drill will be more than adequate, more flexible and cheaper than an SDS.

I have used SDS drills many times but, I've never owned one.
For general use around the home, they are overkill.
Any 240V corded hammer drill will be more than adequate, more flexible and cheaper than an SDS.

This really depends on what your house is made of. Modern cookie-cutter houses with standardized construction using 7N dense block - you'll be okay with a decent cordless with hammer for putting up the odd mirror.
1930's built with local clay bricks - I wouldn't even bother using the cordless to make a hole in the plaster - SDS all the way. Yes it's a handful, but better than having the cordless walk all across your plaster until you hit some (relatively) soft mortar.

Really? My Makita 18v goes in our bricks ok. House is made from Accrington bricks with a compressive strength of > 120 N/mm

This really depends on what your house is made of.
My house was built in 1949 using bricks from the local colliery, they are as hard as a hoors heart but, with a good bit and technique, I've never had any problems making holes in it or any of the older stone built houses around here.

Whilst ‘not the way’ I have put SDS bits in the cordless drill, it’s does work, just take a few seconds to get it centred. :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back