Help me find some Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Couple of types of fixing that i've come across recently which would be very useful but I cant find them anywhere as I dont know what there called.

First one I can only describe as looking a little like a strip of mechano, I've mostly seen it used for supporting cable runs in ceilings and on walls above suspended ceiling tiles, they look similar to millie ties but are made from maluable metal.

Second one is a fixing which ive again seen used in corrugated ceiling. It is basically a threaded insert, the ones i've seen have always been brass. I would imagine you have to drill a correct size hole, clip in the fixing and then you can screw say an M5 screw into them.

Sponsored Links
First one is known as galvanised builders band, sold everywhere.

The second you are describing is a rawlplug, an M5 stud would be used for suspended ceilings on offices etc. Expanding bolts is the general term.

Don't you have a screwfix catalogue? It's all in there.

First one is known as galvanised builders band, sold everywhere.

Hi There,

Its similar to builders band but not the same, a bit smaller and more rounded, seems more specifically designed for cabling work where you dont want to damage insulation, its also black.

The second you are describing is a rawlplug, an M5 stud would be used for suspended ceilings on offices etc. Expanding bolts is the general term.

Closest thing i can find on the rawlplug site is this http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=83&Itemid=34 Which may just do the job.

Don't you have a screwfix catalogue? It's all in there.

What im looking for, isnt

Sponsored Links
Dis - maybe ...

E-Klips All Round Band - various sizes

Channel nuts, stud nuts, or rivet nuts

Google above for your local supplier

Agree with symptoms for the second type of fixing.

I think you're after a RivNut

Can be bought in small quantities at good prices on eBay

Fantastic guys you've got them both!!

I did think those fixings looked a little like rivets but now I know.

THe E-Klips look spot on too.

Thanks V Much!

Agree with symptoms for the second type of fixing.

I think you're after a RivNut

Can be bought in small quantities at good prices on eBay

Just ordered some Rivnuts and an insertion tool from ebay, £20 for the tool and 80 fixings.

Silverline though :eek: but it should do for the few times i'll use it.

Please let me know how you get on with it. I've been looking at buying the tool to put some rivnuts into my truck for holding tools.

Was just going to use the 'manual method' of a correct sized bolt, service washer and a spanner :LOL: :LOL:

If you're anywhere near Meltham / Holmfirth, I'd like to borrow the setting tool if its easier :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back