Help me identify mystery plumbing fittings for easy replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tenants didn't bother to tell me the toilet was leaking until the kitchen ceiling fell down!!! :(. Anyway the drain seems like a pretty poor design with a rigid pipe from the toilet overflow to the waste pipe, which would appear to have been impossible to fit without breaking, let alone to remove. Anyway I need to either fix the leak, or completely replace said fittings in the least invasive way possible. Ideally with a bolt in replacement. However I don't know what they are and cannot find them with an internet search, so I was hoping that someone on here would recognise them and say where to get them. I've attached an image and circled the leaking points in red. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
The fitting on the left is a push fit elbow ,and if the pipe it connects to is going to a basin ,the size of the elbow would be 32mm.
The vertical overflow pipe from the cistern does not appear to be connected to the horizontal pipe . Can you show a better pic of that area ?
What exactly is leaking ,from where ?

Thanks. I would have called it a push fit elbow too, but googling that produces nothing that looks the same, as one end screws down. I was hoping someone would say something like 'that's an ABC Plumbing Widget' etc. I can't get a better photo currently. The vertical pipe from the cistern overflow is joined to the waste pipe by a small elbow that's glued (or appears to be glued) into the back side of the waste pipe, out of sight in this picture. That joint has (unsurprisingly) cracked and because the cistern internals were faulty the cistern was overflowing constantly and a certain amount of water was escaping from that small elbow joint. There is also a leak where the waste pipe inserts into the push fit elbow.

Are you sure that vertical pipe is connected to the back side of the waste pipe as I can’t see that myself. Looks abit strange to me !o_O

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just took another look ,pic isn't very clear ,but it looks more like a stem elbow . One end is push fit female ,the other end is just like a short piece of pipe. The stem elbow is then fitted into what appears to be a push fit reducer ,going into the compression fitting of a strap on boss. Can't be certain without a sharp picture in close up .
To be frank ,it needs stripping out and plumbing in properly. Why don't you get a plumber in to do it ?

The WC tank overflow shouldn't connect direct to a foul sewer (WC pan outlet) unless your tennants want stink in the toilet room. I don't think you can "glue" onto push-fit pipe so yet another problem there. Get a plumber in to sort out the problem; as a landlord the cost is tax-deductable.

Just took another look ,pic isn't very clear ,but it looks more like a stem elbow . One end is push fit female ,the other end is just like a short piece of pipe. The stem elbow is then fitted into what appears to be a push fit reducer ,going into the compression fitting of a strap on boss. Can't be certain without a sharp picture in close up .
To be frank ,it needs stripping out and plumbing in properly. Why don't you get a plumber in to do it ?
I don't mind doing it myself. Part of the learning curve. What would you recommend replacing it with?

The WC tank overflow shouldn't connect direct to a foul sewer (WC pan outlet) unless your tennants want stink in the toilet room. I don't think you can "glue" onto push-fit pipe so yet another problem there. Get a plumber in to sort out the problem; as a landlord the cost is tax-deductable.
The cistern overflow connects to the sink waste, which then connects to the soil pipe. Where should the cistern overflow go?

Can the overflow pipe be taken through the wall to expel outside ?
If not ,change the cistern siphon for one with an internal overflow. It should not be connected as it is ,directly into waste pipe ,that will allow drainage / foul smells into the room.
The horizontal waste pipe can just be replaced ,with new fittings ,once the overflow is sorted.

I thought it was a push fit conversion elbow.
I hate that type of overflow setup and if possible would swap the flush valve to internal overflow as suggested.
and I'd get that horrible flexible bend replaced for something more solid .

Last edited:
I thought it was a push fit conversion elbow.
I hate that type of overflow setup and if possible would swap the flush valve to internal overflow as suggested.
and I'd get that horrible flexible bend replaced for something more solid .
Do you mean the bend from the back of the loo?

Here is the picture of how the cistern overflow joined the sink waste for those who were curious:

Also the sink waste has an external diameter of 34.7mm (measured with digital calipers), but the only available sizes to buy are 32mm and 40mm. Any idea what it could be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back