Replaceing a toilet flush...Are they really 'Easy Fit'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

A tiny little clip on the side of my flushing mechanism has broken for some unknown reason. And because of this, occasionally the flushing mechanism becomes slightly loose and water can be released into the toilet. It's easily fixed at the moment by pressing the flush again, but long term that's stupid.

Now I was going to buy a replacement flushing kit and I just wanted to know how 'easy fit' these things actually are? Only one toilet in the house, don't want to take anything on and find out I have to ask the neighbours to use their toilet :oops:

I was looking at getting the:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50752...s/Fluidmaster-Leak-Sentry-Toilet-Cistern-Kit#

or

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=search&ts=1250462025971&isSearch=false

Looks simple enough, unscrew old flush, screw in new flush and then spend some time configuring it and getting the water levels right.

My second question would be, do I have to remove the cistern from the wall?

I don't have any leaks so I was just curious why I can't just remove one flush and replace it with another? Why do I have to replace the washer underneath as well?

Thanks Guys

Sponsored Links
If you can post a photo of your toilet then we can better advise you.

If its a close coupled cistern then you need to remove it from the wall. As the screws are usually not brass and have rusted thats often a problem to start with.

The bolts holding the metal bracket underneath are also often rusted and have to be sawn off.

All in all its usually a very time consuming problem. My engineer took over three hours with one with all these problems.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back