help me to decide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of the new extension we are looking to upgrade the existing CH system with the inclusion for UFH (wet) for the new floor area.
I am undecided whether to use our builder’s plumber/cost or supply my own boiler/water cylinder and perhaps use local plumber for installation? I appreciate that later might be better option as I can have a some sort of control over the quality but unsure how do I go about it?
Any pointers would be appreciated most.

Sponsored Links
you are very wise..

find the plumber/heating engineer and just tell the builder...the builder works for you...and you are the boss.

Its a lucrative but frustrating market sorting out builders plumbers work...

Plus 1

There is a reason builders are better off than other trades, it's because they are leeches.

I would prefer that if I was spending £5000 or whatever on an installation, for the money to be spent on good products, materials and for the engineer to have enough time to do the job.

Not paying for the builder to renovate his gaff in Spain or large it up down the golf club.

If you take this route, make sure the builder understands that you will be using your own engineer at the out set, as I've seen them get awkward once they realise they won't be making any money out of it.

Thanks guys for your quick response, felt better that my hunch was right :) .
Right if I get the local plumber to do the installation then I how do I go about creating the inventory for the required items?

Sponsored Links
builders always think plumbing and heat is simple, and we complicate things..and of course the public buy into that...

of course what we do is not rocket science, but it is involved, and increasingly so with renewables and more advanced heating controls...

avoid the builders plumber at all costs, unless you can talk to them direct...

you just tell the plumber what you want done, and he specifies the materials...

you just tell the plumber what you want done, and he specifies the materials...

Thanks Alice for your input. I am slightly confused by above, if I were to tell a locally contracted plumber what I want done then I could do that to the builder/his plumber?
I thought the objective was to get quality stuff and the only way I could achieve that is by sourcing the stuff by myself?
Cheers

Buying it yourself might have warranty implications.

A decent boiler supplied by you would be no more reliable than the same boiler supplied by the installer.

If you were to supply the products then we would only warranty it staying on the wall.

It is just a thorough ball ache. If you don't get everything correct and in place on time the installer is going to be sat there with his thumb up his arris.

it really depends on the scope of the work...to be fair..

moving a basin or sink there isn't much that can go wrong, but you would be surprised the amount that does go wrong that professionals have to sort out!

if you are talking about a zone of UFH then only a fool trusts a builder to do something without you have contact with that plumber..as a first I would expect that sort of work to demand that the installer speaks good and proper english....

if you are doing UFH then choose your supplier and ask them to recommend an installer...talk to them about system integration, and as them if they want to do the plumbing.

For a fee he could "supervise" the other guys work...

at the end of the day you are buying a personal service and you must draw your conclusions about the suitability of the person doing the work...

Thanks guys for your help, specially Alec1 for posting quite a few posts on the topic.
I agree that no one would want to have plumber twiddling his thumb, hence in the above post I highlighted the need to have an inventory.
Yes I would like to have UFH (WET) and would want to explore the option of Solar heating for the water cylinder so its not a bad idea so discuss this option with the installer, if I can find one that is.
I appreciate that end of the day its my judgment and hence the reason for consulting this forum to ensure I get the right help which will enable me to make the right call.
In conclusion it seems that my best option would be to identify the key component to the plumber to ensure that I achieve some sort of balance between my choice and his preference?
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back