Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys
Can some one pleas help me with a simple understanding of the following
1) what is continuity testing in an installation
2) insulation resistance testing
3) polarity testing
(I have a fair idea of what they are but look for a more understanding of each)

A) why are they carried out
B) what is the permissible range in testing.

And do you have to work out the diversity factor for every hob or oven even if it falls with in the 32amp reading
Ie an oven at is on a 32 but rated 2.9kw I worked it out and with out using the diversity Mehod it in 32amp use the diversity method and it's even below.
And the hob is 7200w

Lastly any good books out there with simple explanations

Thank you all I know it's a Sunday but if one has a spare time to answer thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
One of this forum's hosts, TLC has a simplified version of the Wiring regulations (16th edition) on its web site.

If you have a look through the testing section
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/8.1.1.htm
that should give you a good understanding of what is what.

There are many books on electrical installation. This one is a reasonable starter
https://www.wiringregulations.net/p...8848849.aspx?gclid=cjtcup2p59ecfqrjgwodkfiljw

Do ask if you need clarification on anything.

Thanks a lot will hav a look

Sponsored Links
Why don't you feel that you can ask your lecturer(s)?

Trust me I do or we do
But depends whose teaching
It's only hand out in theory and 25 students in practical
So to get a teacher to explain to you it's hard every one wants his attention

Our theory teacher is an ex architecture so you can imagine
Donot get me wrong they are trying but one needs own research
Colleges are more about money not the old days

Why don't you feel that you can ask your lecturer(s)?

Is there any harm in him asking here? There's nothing wrong with asking questions about these things and people should be encouraged to research things and ask questions outside of the classroom as well as inside it.

Still - given the prices they charge nowadays - it's sad that they don't even provide a satisfactory reading list.

It's only hand out in theory and 25 students in practical
Inadequate and too many.

Apparently most of these training providers cover the absolute minimum so that the students can just about pass. Actual learning and proper understanding are not included.

Inadequate and too many.

Apparently most of these training providers cover the absolute minimum so that the students can just about pass. Actual learning and proper understanding are not included.

In my student days, the older, more traditional lecturers (who didn't approve) referred to this approach as FO-FO teaching. F Off and Find Out.
Sadly, I imagine most of them are long retired if not pushing up the daisies by now.

Last edited:
In my student days, the older, more traditional lecturers referred to this approach as FO-FO teaching. F Off and Find Out.

It would sound by the experiences of the OP, that they taught the current generation to teach the same way.

Is there any harm in him asking here? There's nothing wrong with asking questions about these things and people should be encouraged to research things and ask questions outside of the classroom as well as inside it.
True, but if asking here is masking a problem of which the college and/or lecturer(s) should be aware.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back