Help! Metal plate in the way of joist notches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm notching my joists to reroute some central heating in my house. The notches are 20mm deep (12.5%) and are centred 23% of the way along the span of the 160mm x 60mm joists to comply with building regs.

The last notch I need to do is a double joist, but I've just noticed it has a 3mm steel plate sandwiched in the middle. Help! What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Don't cut it - it sounds like a flitch beam and is almost certainly structurally important. Sounds like a re-route for your pipe run may be needed.

Thanks for the reply. I've looked up a flitch beam and that looks like the thing.

What a disaster.

The beam runs the full width of the house so the only solution I can think of is to go over or under it. I can see that an electrical cable has been passed through it so perhaps a hole can be drilled to pass the pipes through?

Flitch beams have bolt holes so it should theoretically be possible to drill a couple of holes for pipework without harming it's integrity but I'd check carefully before doing anything.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Over or under would be a complete nightmare to reroute, but it sounds like a structural engineer's advice would be needed to do anything else. I might post this in the building section and see what people say.

Thanks again.

Thanks. Over or under would be a complete nightmare to reroute, but it sounds like a structural engineer's advice would be needed to do anything else. I might post this in the building section and see what people say.

Thanks again.

Drilling through it is not going to cause a problem but will probably be quite difficult to do.

Your flitch beam was presumably fitted there because it takes a higher load.

Do you know what that load is? Cross walls? Chimney breasts?

If it was mine and there was no significant load on it, then I would notch it but the reality is that it must have been used because it carries a higher load than the other joists.

But why in your case?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back