Joist Notching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just in the process of working out the routing for my extended pipe work and on removal of the floor boards found some notching that is a bit worrying. A couple of joists have been notched mid span, to nearly half of their depth. This was probably done some 10-15 years ago. Would anyone know if this was acceptable back then?. Obviously its not within the current regs.

I am cosidering strengthening these joist at the notch point and was going to sandwich the joist between pieces of 3/4" ply using coach bolts. The only thing I am unsure about is the length of strenghening, would anyone have some idea please?

Sponsored Links
dunno the length but the ponger the better .

can u fit 300mm either side.

i would also use wood glue (stronger than wood itself ! )

its not been a problen so far...so anything u do will be a bonus

I would cut some wood to fill the notch slightly oversize and knock it in, By all means use plie on one side but on the other I would go for a full size joist coach bolted through and take it as far as you can get it depends how many boards you can easily take up to fit it into place. If you have all the boards up span the room, joists are cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back