Help with notches in new joists

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a dormer put in at the moment and the floor joists went in today. As they were laying a cross an existing ceiling the builder cut notches in the bottom of 7 joists to allow existing cables to pass under without disturbing them.

I had thought that notching the bottom of joists wasn't allowed but the LABC website here says they are:
https://www.labc.co.uk/news/how-get-it-right-notches-holes-solid-timber-joists

Although some councils say differently on their website (mine doesn't specify).

The other problem is that these notches are right in the middle of the joists rather than in the specified area, so assuming notching the bottom is fine they aren't in the right place.

Builder says it's fine and not to worry about it as the joists are over specced.

The joists are 47x170 c24 and spanning 2.3m at 400mm centres. The span tables do suggest the joists could be much smaller.

Should I be worried?

Sponsored Links
No; as long as they've not taken more than about 20 mm from the underside, the joists will be fine over that span.
The builder is correct regarding the spec.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Still not very wise! all he needs to do now is remember not to screw through them.

• Thanks
Quite; might have been better to carefully unclip the wire(s) from the top of the joist and gently push them down the side out of the way.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
New floor joists should be laid 25mm or so above any existing celling or joists not tight on them. So that normally gives a natural gap for any existing cables.

• Thanks
It makes me wonder why they have set the new joists above the existing ceiling joists, which naturally reduces headroom.
Most loft-builders try to set the new floor joists parallel to, and down between the existing ceiling joists to gain a few extra inches.

• Thanks
The floor joists are next to the ceiling joists, because the loft is an eaves space that’s the only way to do it and match the existing floor levels.

The cables run through the centre of the ceiling joists and then drop down under the new floor joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back