32mm sink waste pipe: a journey through several joists.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

My challenge is as follows:

- I need (no alternative) to take a 32mm plastic pipe over a distance of 2 metres through a number of joists.
- I'll drill them in the middle and top and bottom strengthen with steel supports
- I'll bend the pipe in to the first hole such that I can position it in

Questions:
- anyone done this before - am I aware of the building regs issue in going thru joists
- I can't work out how to drill the holes given the joists are 40cm apart and my drill won't fit!
- Would I be better notching the top by 3 cm (25cm joists) and giving up any 'fall' in the pipe gradient and letting gravity push the water out!

All help / advice welcome!

Darrenh

Sponsored Links
Can you describe why you need to go through the joists pls :?:

What are you draining. :?:

need to go through joists as the sink is at the far end of the bathroom and there is nowhere else for it to go. I pulled up the boards and there is actually a brick wall supporting the joists ends running down the centre. On the top of this is an old electrical iron tube about 2.5-3cm thick that sits in notches on the joists - I figure if I take this out and notch another 1cm then the 32mm pipe will sit here just fine. I also understand that the supported end is the strongest part of of the joist.

Gradient of fall is still an issue but one I think I'll get away with.

??

- I can't work out how to drill the holes given the joists are 40cm apart and my drill won't fit!

90 Degree Drill attachment ..... & perhaps a hole cutter

TL1043907-40.jpg

one-tooth_apps.gif

Heeeeeeeeeeeeey thats clever :LOL:

Sponsored Links
correct me if im wrong guys, but isnt the maximum branch for 32mm pipe 1.7m?

When going against the joists it is normal to drop through the ceiling against the wall, run the waste pipe into the stack below the ceiling & box it in. Not particularly attractive but there are ways in which you can make it less noticeable. As pointed out, you should be also using 40mm for that length of waste run (up to 3m).

Depending on what you've got/what you want underneath, could you go through the ceiling and route it so it is going along the top of your ceiling, then boxing it in and plastering it and fitting some downlights in it or something like that?

Depending on what you've got/what you want underneath, could you go through the ceiling and route it so it is going along the top of your ceiling, then boxing it in and plastering it and fitting some downlights in it or something like that?
Er, I though I already said that!

I like the sound of going down into the study and boxing it in - I'll look into it. The 32mm pipe fits in the hole where the old electrical piping was, however there is no grdient at all. The 32mm pipe is actually 2.1m long to until it meets a junction with the 40mm for the shower waste.

Do I risk it or do i not!!

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back