32MM CORE DRILL..BUT PIPE IS SLIGHTLY BIGGER?

What does it say on the tin? Its blue isnt it, with a paintbrush/lid combo?

Sponsored Links
No instructions on how to use it written on the tin? If the paste is blue then its the right one.

Sponsored Links
i appreciate your sense of humour..but i am looking for advice here....if it was just a glue,surely it would be called...solvent glue & not solvent cement...all i want to know is if it is the correct item i am looking for ?

instructions on tin ( word for word).......

thoroughly coat both contacting surfaces with solvent cement using the brush.
assemble joint immediately and twist to ensure contact.
remove excess cement, do not disturb joint for at least 10 minutes
final set 12hours, then test as required after 24 hours.
finally the colour is clear ( like glue) and not blue

ps at bottom of tub it says the following......

suitable for jointing UPVC, MUPVC and ABS products

Clear solvent-weld 'glue' is OK.
If it SAYS solvent-weld, then that's what it is. It will soften / dissolve the surface of MUPVC, PVC and ABS but NOT polythene. The objective of the process is NOT to 'stick' the pipe into the fitting, as with a glue. Solvent-weld dissolves both surfaces, so that once the solvent has evaporated, there is effectively a single piece of plastic. It SHOULD be impossible to separate a joint once it has fully hardened.

Note also that waste fittings are ALWAYS larger than the nominal diameter of the pipe. To get the pipe the right distance off the wall, part of a fitting (eg. an elbow or T) should be inside the hole in the wall. So you ALWAYS should use a larger core-drill than the nominal pipe diameter.

hi again...thanks for the great info on the pipes & connections ....i will follow your advice..but my main problem was with the solvent cement...as it does NOT say on the tub the word "weld" anywhere..it just says what i typed....i have just tested some on a bit of pipe & it looks like it does actually melt the pipe...but as i really have to be sure thats why i have been asking so many questions ( ORILLO plumbing merchants sold me something called CEMENT FILLER & told me it was what i needed for abs pipes so i tested that and it did not work...so thats why i am abit wary now..& needed to know for sure

Gap-filler cement is for solvent-welding AND filling potential gaps (eg. on weld-on soil-pipe bosses).
Solvent(-weld) cement is for joining pipes into fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back