Help moving a toilet / extending waste pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am always on this forum reading your ideas and advice but I thought I would register to ask for advice for myself please.
I want to move my toilet basin, same room just 4 or 5 feet away from where it is now. (Extending the waste pipe)

Can I just use a coupler and add more piping or replace the pipe under the floors for a longer one? I read somewhere that you have to be careful with moving toilet waste because the pipe is ventilated or something?

I consider myself above average in DIY but having never moved a toilet I thought I'd ask.

Here are a few pictures which for some reason have rotated after uploading so apologies.

The back of the toilet

The wall in this picture and the next picture are the same wall.

The waste pipe to ground.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
The golden rule is if you keep same pipe connection externally then you can put toilet anywhere BUT the pipe MUST have a fall away from toilet until it joins external vertical pipe. As long as you join into the same vertical pipe that is already vented at the top you don't need any more venting. The problem with running 100mm soil pipe under floor is that the fall of pipe cannot be maintained over any real distance.

Hi, petertheplumber, thank you for your speedy rerply. I think I understand what you mean. To recap the problem with extending it is that the pipe must not be 'level' (as I imagine this would cause a blockage?) and as the pipe is so large in diameter it stands a chance I won't be able to keep it running at the same angle under the floorboards?

If that is the case is there a way around this?

Thank you again I really appreciate your help.

Rob

If you want to move wc along the wall further away from the vertical pipe then it would be best to drill another hole through the wall and and join it to vertical lower down, blanking of the existing run externally. Other than that the only way to get round it is fit a masserator behind, run 40mm pipe to almost anywhere.

Sponsored Links
I definitely don't want to use a macerator, I think I will have to up the floorboards and have a good look. I have my fingers crossed as the second way sounds like a royal pain.

I am assuming that the draining of the sink and the bath is a similar situation? But spacing is easier due to the pipe diameter being smaller?

Thank you for your help.

Rob

If your moving sink and bath same rule applies, keep a fall on all waste pipework, if 32mm pipe extends more than 3 m (I think, might be 6m) increase to 40mm, And good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back