Help need for new rad on system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have added a radiator to my central heating. This new rad is downstairs but I had to tee off from the main feed/ return pipes upstairs so both pipes are routed from upstairs to service the new rad downstairs. The problem is that the new rad wont heat up when I switch the system on, there is no blockage. I understand that hot water will rise but I thought that under the influence of the main pump, the hot water would reach the new rad. Any ideas on how I can correct this.

Sponsored Links
The flow connection must come after the pump.

You make it sound as if you have teed off the main F&R from the boiler :confused:

Close down all other rads, see if it gets hot, if it does it will be a simple case of `balancing` your radiators if it doesn`t you may have piped it up incorrectly.

Thanks for the replys, the pipes Ive teed off are the pipes all the upstairs rads are teed from , (1 1/4 inch I think) . Is what ive done correct anyhow? the pump is outside by the way.

Sponsored Links
If you have taken a feed from two seperate pipes flow/return and fed them to rad you will be ok, doesn`t matter about how you pipe up new rad as long as the TRV is bidirectional ( they all are these days).

How did you pick the positions to tee into existing pipe?
Are you sure they are flow and return for heating?
What kind of system do you have?

How did you pick the positions to tee into existing pipe?

Probably chose the ones that were not hot water or gas, people can do that you know,process of elimination is the clue.

Are you sure they are flow and return for heating?

I`m sure whilst fitting new radiator he could probably differentiate between the remaining dregs of a central heating pipe and the full force of cutting into main supply.

What kind of system do you have?

Sounds like you have come off the wrong pipes, or from the wrong position.

If you have teed off the main F&R before the pump, your circuit will have no flow through it and the boiler.

1/1/4" pipes sound as if they are on a gravity HW circuit unless you live in a massive house.

Legion/bamber/BigBurner is talking out of his a*se again as usual :rolleyes:

If you have teed off the main F&R before the pump, your circuit will have no flow through it and the boiler.

Tell that to all the return pipework and installations where the pump is on the return. Dig that hole Son. :rolleyes:

Tell that to all the return pipework and installations where the pump is on the return. Dig that hole Son. :rolleyes:

In that case there would still be the same end result if it was after the pump in the return.

I can hear you falling down your own hole. The deeper the better ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back