Help needed! Asbestos tile removal and Arditex NA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, first time poster so be gentle : )

The problem:

- Have a hallway with presumed asbestos vinyl tiles.
- Got a quote to take these up, but contractor said they would leave the bitumen adhesive in place, and just spray a PVA solution on this as an encapsulation.
- They said this would then be ready to lay flooring on top.
- However, looking around online I have seen others say to avoid PVA as other materials don't take too well to this.
- Ultimately, I want to be laying a rubber/vinyl floor, so would be keen to hear how others would go about this.

From looking online, am now thinking: remove old vinyl tiles > lay Arditex NA straight on top > glue/adhesive for new flooring > new flooring. Does that sound about right?

Also, am eager to hear how I would stop the levelling compound from creeping into other rooms, seeping through gaps around the edges of the room, and how to protect a few heating pipes (which stick out from under the current flooring) from the compound.

HUGE THANKS in advance for any advice!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Also, am eager to hear how I would stop the levelling compound from creeping into other rooms, seeping through gaps around the edges of the room, and how to protect a few heating pipes (which stick out from under the current flooring) from the compound).
On the SLC front, a slim bead of expanding foam around all edges, any gaps and pipes works wonders.
When the SLC is dry, the foam can be cut back flush to the compound.
The foam also acts as an expansion joint - beneficial around heating pipes etc.

Thanks so much for your help, that sounds do-able!

So just the foam to fill any gaps etc, then lay the SLC?

I saw online that someone said Great Stuff is a decent product for this type of job.

Sponsored Links
To stop the latex you can use sand as a bridge which we do quite often.
Has the sub floor got a visqueen Dpm ? If the house is build before 1980 I’d be going with ardex na , DPM1c , ardex na

A Dpm butty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back