Help needed- bedroom to be decorated in next couple of days

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I’m decorating a bedroom over the next couple of days and just need guidance on what to do first/how to do it.

The bedroom is the main one in a large Victorian house and hadn’t been decorated in about 30+ years.

Having never done any DIY on a house in my life, over the last few months, I have stripped about 4 layers of wallpaper with a wall steamer, seen that the walls and ceiling beneath were damaged so had them all replastered, stripped the paint off and sanded down the dado rails, skirting boards, window frame and door and door frame to its natural wood and most recently hired floor and edging sanders to sand the wooden floor.

I am now about to paint the ceiling/walls and then finish off the door, window frame, dado rails, skirting boards and floor.

I love the current colour of the wood in the room so do not want to paint but also do not want a varnish that will change the colour of the wood.

In what order to I paint/varnish and what time of varnish or wax should I put on the wood? I should also add that when the walls and ceiling were replastered, they put new coving round which also needs painting. How many coats should I do, do I mix the undercoat with anything, what type of paint finish (ie. matte) is best for a bedroom?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

I can also upload some pictures of what the room currently looks like if needed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back