Help needed!! General gas boiler question (hissing noises)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, looking for some help with a few issues i'm having on my system.

Bought my current house last May and over the last few months have noticed a hissing noise generated by the boiler and resonated through the radiators. this usually kicks in when the system has been running for a while and has reached required temperature. i can only compare it to the sound made if you were to boil a small amount of water in a pan.

I have read about "kettling" and the like and am yet to try a treatment (Fernox etc).

A non corgi regsistered friend of a friend told me that turning down the main gas inlet pipe may help to reduce the noise as there may be too much pressure entering the boiler. Is this true?? could this be the cause of the hissing noise??

boiler is Potterton Myson WM 15/30 Bfa and I believe it is less than 5 years old.

hope someone can help with suggestions and if you need more info from me please ask, i'm completely amateur with plumbing/heating :)

kind regards,
craig.

Sponsored Links
Craig-Darlington said:

Bought my current house last May and over the last few months have noticed a hissing noise generated by the boiler and resonated through the radiators. this usually kicks in when the system has been running for a while and has reached required temperature. i can only compare it to the sound made if you were to boil a small amount of water in a pan.

I have read about "kettling" and the like and am yet to try a treatment (Fernox etc).

A non corgi regsistered friend of a friend told me that turning down the main gas inlet pipe may help to reduce the noise as there may be too much pressure entering the boiler. Is this true?? could this be the cause of the hissing noise??

boiler is Potterton Myson WM 15/30 Bfa and I believe it is less than 5 years old.

hope someone can help with suggestions and if you need more info from me please ask, i'm completely amateur with plumbing/heating :)

kind regards,
craig.

do not listen to your non corgi reg mate for starters.......... thats seriously bad advise he has given you........

your gas pressure is regulated at the gas meter then the gas valve...

If your boiler is sending too much gas through then the gas valve would need the correct burner pressure set but to be honest the problem may be absolutely nothing to do with this.. to hard to diagnose from the info given...

mmalone said:
Craig-Darlington said:

kind regards,
craig.

do not listen to your non corgi reg mate for starters.......... thats seriously bad advise he has given you........

If your boiler is sending too much gas through then the gas valve would need the correct burner pressure set but to be honest the problem may be absolutely nothing to do with this.. to hard to diagnose from the info given...

Ok point taken on the friend of a friend, suppose thats why i turned to this forum.

i want to give you more info but i'm not sure what you need!!! :oops:

house has gas boiler in kitchen cupboard, 5 radiators in house (1 kitchen, 1 front room, 1 in each bedroom and 1 bathroom). boiler as i said before is myson wm 15/30 bfa and is running at just below 3 on dial (which goes up to 5). rads warm up fine, no cold spots at all and all give out plenty of heat. just this damn noise!!

Craig-Darlington said:
mmalone said:
Craig-Darlington said:

kind regards,
craig.

Ok point taken on the friend of a friend, suppose thats why i turned to this forum.

i want to give you more info but i'm not sure what you need!!! :oops:

house has gas boiler in kitchen cupboard, 5 radiators in house (1 kitchen, 1 front room, 1 in each bedroom and 1 bathroom). boiler as i said before is myson wm 15/30 bfa and is running at just below 3 on dial (which goes up to 5). rads warm up fine, no cold spots at all and all give out plenty of heat. just this damn noise!!

pretty hard to give any real advise mate, too hard to tell, but the pressure guage should sit just above 1 to 1.5 when hot, if the pressure is rising it could be a few things but hers 2 to consider.. 1. Faulty or no pressure in expansion vessel. 2. blockage in the system causing pressure to rise....

dont know the boiler myself but the pressure is too high on the water side and needs drained a little but this may also be irrelevent to the hissing noise !! drain from a rad or somewhere accessable till pressure reaches what ive advised first then see what happens...

Sponsored Links
Craig-Darlington said:
boiler as i said before is myson wm 15/30 bfa and is running at just below 3 on dial (which goes up to 5). rads warm up fine, no cold spots at all and all give out plenty of heat. just this damn noise!!

mmalone said:
...but the pressure guage should sit just above 1 to 1.5 when hot, if the pressure is rising...

I think mmalone is confusing the boilerstat dial setting ("...up to 5...")with sealed system pressure.

The noises you describe seem to be consistent with boiler kettling, by all means try the noise reducing chemicals as a first action, you may need to descale the boiler if they are unsuccessful.
Craig-Darlington said:
...boiler is Potterton Myson WM 15/30 Bfa and I believe it is less than 5 years old...

I think your boiler is more likely to be 15 years old :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back