Help needed with Worcester 24i junior/hissing rads/TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi every-one

I've been reading posts re TRV and room thermostats to find a solution to my problem. In doing so I have uncovered a few more issues that I was unaware of.

I have previously posted re hissing rads and was told I needed to "balance the system". My original post follows below with other info- boiler type and such:

"""""""""Could any-one give advice on what to do with hissing radiators.

I have a Worcester 24i junior boiler and radiators all with thermostatic valves. Once the heating system is up and running a hissing sound can be heard from 1 radiator. Sometimes it's quite loud other times not very.

The noise comes from the thermostatic valve. If I adjust the valve by turning it up or down the noise stops, but then another radiator somewhere else will start hissing.

As I go around the house I find myself adjusting most of the valves when one hisses.

Also should this type of boiler be very noisy when it's on and just supplying the radiators? An engineer said it was a very good boiler but when I asked if the noise was normal he said it was just the fan and that all boilers are different. I have never come across a boiler as noisy as mine just whilst supplying the radiators. """"""""""""

So from reading other posts am I right in thinking that

1. When using TRV, all but one rad should be fitted with one and in the room without there should be a room thermostat instead?

2. It is possible to "turn down" the boiler to reduce noise level?

3. Fitting a room thermostat is easy?

4. Balancing the system is relatively straight forward for some one who knows what they are doing?

I have tried a number of plumbers to come and balance the system. One told me it was not worth his while, another said I should get the guy who installed it to do it and another said he only installs and does not do repairs. One more said he'd come but then did not show!! I don't know who fitted the boiler as it was all here when I bought the house.

So my questions are,

1. Are these jobs something that a reputable plumber would want to do?

2. Once all this is sorted, will this give me a problem free heating system??

I think I'm going mad trying to sort out these issues! :LOL: I am in Oldham if any-one is local who would do these jobs for me :D

Sponsored Links
keep ringing, you should find a plumber

However, i would say that i could not guarantee there would be no noise, as i dont know where the noise is coming from, if its the valves, then you might need new /different ones

Balancing a system, as i know it is to get all the rads hot....not to control flow noises

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back