Help needed hanging heavy mirror on plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have a go hanging a 20kg mirror on a tiled/plasterboard wall in my bathroom. I should make it clear at this point I'm clueless when it comes to DIY so I'm probably going to ask some pretty stupid questions but I've uploaded a few photos I've what I've got to start of with:

The Mirror:
8tEVaCN.jpg

Mirror fittings:
5dLzrvz.jpg

What I was going to use to hang the mirror:
i2ySd4q.jpg

HpujUDM.jpg

The tiled wall:
LwFoEiZ.jpg

From what I can tell there's no studwork behind the wall to anchor to. Will the fittings I've got be ok to use? There's only 2 fixings on the back of the mirror to hang it with. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
The mirror fixings are to take a wire to hang it on, though you can hang directly to the loops.
Tiled wall will take the weight, just need to measure accurately between loops and leave screw heads exposed by about 10mm.
Moisture may damage the mirror backing if it's not sealed.

The hangers on the back should probably be recessed in to allow the rear of the frame to sit flat against the tiles.

The mirror fixings are to take a wire to hang it on, though you can hang directly to the loops.
Tiled wall will take the weight, just need to measure accurately between loops and leave screw heads exposed by about 10mm.

Thanks :) The guidelines on the back of the mirror state that it shouldn't be hung with a wire, so I'll have to hang it directly on the loops. The plugs and screws look ok though, as far as you can tell? I've seen metal plugs that have the same effect advised for similar situations elsewhere, does it make any difference?

Sponsored Links
Make sure head of screw will pass under loop, or use screw in hooks.
You can use a felt pad stuck to base of rear to get it hanging vertical .

I wouldn't be inclined to fix the mirror with mechanical fixings on a tiled wall unless there were studs behind the plasterboard, rather I would fix with padded double sided tape on the highest raised profile, and silicone between this and the outer edge.
First remove the metal fixing lugs etc. then apply the dbl. sided tape leaving the top paper in place, then fill between the tape and outer edge with blobs of mirror silicone to fill most of the void, strip the paper off tape and push on to dry tiled surface until some of the silicone squeezes out. The mirror will now be fixed and the gaps (if any) in the silicone edge can be filled, wipe off any excess with a wet finger. this will both fix and seal the mirror against ingress of moisture...pinenot :)

OP, if you do use the screws, make sure you don't have the drill on hammer setting! put some masking take on the tile where you are going to drill to avoid the drill bit sliding around. You can use a special tile drill bit, but I would just use a masonry bit and take it steady.

That doesn't look like a bathroom mirror to me. Are you SURE you want that in your bathroom? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back