Hanging a heavy mirror on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a heavy mirror (20kg) and want to hang it on a plasterboard wall - will it take the weight? If so, can you recommend types of fixing / plugs.

Thanks, in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Lewy - I have never come across such a fixing. How does it work? Would I attach a screw to it to enable me to hang the mirror?

Personally I would and I have used these types of fixings in hollow walls

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=92944&id=11143

I have used them for book cases, I find they work well because they splay out behind the wall and hold very firm. I used 4 brackets and 6 of these to hold a bookcase which must have weighted about 20kg with all the books on it. Not sure how many you could get in the wall for the mirror.

However for 20KG I would not sit anything under the mirror unless you can fix it to a part of the wall frame. Or use about 10 of these. That would just be my opinion but I am a belt and braces type of a chap :D

Sponsored Links
Toggle fixing is the way to go but you will need to get something like a chrome cover or whatever you fancy to hide the slotted bolt head.

Hi, i am trying to hang a heavy mirror on a plasterboard wall, due to the width of the space there dont appear to be any joists, so got some heavy duty plug things-but come to a standstill as i have hit metal-i dont want to go through it in case its dangerous...can anyone help...i'm an independant gal but struggling with this one!

Natty move the mirror!.........and wot you doing hi jacking threads?

i want the mirror central on my wall...hooray..I have done it-2 big holes later...just waiting for the big smash!!!thanks for the advice!..Wallpapering next!

i want the mirror central on my wall...hooray..I have done it-2 big holes later...just waiting for the big smash!!!thanks for the advice!..Wallpapering next!
:D

what was the metal you were hitting then? :eek:

think it mush have been a nail where the join was of 2 pieces of plasterboard-which would then suggest there was a joist..oh well never mind-i did it & pleased to say is still fixed to the wall!!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back