How can i hang a 30kg mirror onto a plasterboard wall??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a very heavy sheet glass mirror (no frame, its about 30kg in weight) and want to hang it on a plasterboard wall - will it take the weight?

If so, can you recommend types of brackets / fixings.

Many Thanks, in advance.

Sponsored Links
One widely used safety factor is 4, so the fastening system should fail at a minimum of 4 x 30 kg. If personnel safety is involved in a failure, consider a factor of 10x or more.

Over here the packaging for fasteners may say 'ultimate strength' or 'working load' and this second one must have some safety factor built in. You also must consider the wall strength because both the wall and the fastener have to withstand the load.

With more than two fasteners the mirror weight will not be evenly distributed among fasteners.

It's a static load, versus an impact load vs a load that vibrates so this calculation should be relatively easy.

Sponsored Links
Norcon - what do you mean by Silicone???

Porque223 - I have no idea what the wall strength is, the fixings I have been looking at our maximum strength
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware...-Interset-41645-M5-x-40-9281505?skuId=9291205
But they dont say what weight they would support. I also cant find any brackets that these fixings could use.
Somewhere I have specs for the pullout/pullthrough strength for these fasteners, depending on the drywall thickness and fastener diameter. The Hillman Hardware website used to have an excellent tutorial for fasteners of all types into materials of all types. Servistar is another hardware supplier.

Since drywall is somewhat elastic, more than two fasteners in a perfectly straight line may see some load sharing.

Since silicone-based adhesive/caulk is definitely elastic it may distribute the load quite well but I've never totally trusted adhesives over the long term. A woman was killed in the "Big Dig" in Boston when a chunk of concrete fastened by some type of adhesive fell on her.

You really need to fixings to the studs rather than rely solely on fixings into the plasterboard.
If the mirror is just a plain piece of glass with no drillings or brackets with it, consider supporting it off a narrow ledge at the bottom, firmly fixed to the studs, and then clip the top back with a couple of small clips; which could be fixed through the plasterboard. The idea is that the ledge takes all the weight, and the clips just stop it falling outwards.

Porque223";p="2773790 said:
Norcon - what do you mean by Silicone???

Porque223 - I have no idea what the wall strength is, the fixings I have been looking at our maximum strength
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware...-Interset-41645-M5-x-40-9281505?skuId=9291205
But they dont say what weight they would support. I also cant find any brackets that these fixings could use.
Somewhere I have specs for the pullout/pullthrough strength for these fasteners, depending on the drywall thickness and fastener diameter. Your application depends on the shearing force it is necessary to resist. The Hillman Hardware website used to have an excellent tutorial for fasteners of all types into materials of all types. Servistar is another hardware supplier.

You could also ask these guys
http://www.rawlplug.com/

Since drywall is somewhat elastic, more than two fasteners in a perfectly straight line may see some load sharing.

Silicone-based adhesive/caulk is definitely elastic and so it may distribute the load quite well but I've never totally trusted adhesives over the long term. A woman was killed in the "Big Dig" in Boston when a chunk of concrete fastened by some type of adhesive fell on her.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back