Help needed!......Peugeot 206 wont start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new to this forum, hope someone can help.

I was driving my 2002 206 1.1 (only had it 1 month) and it started to lose power then I heard a clunking sound almost like
metal on metal so I pulled over and turned the engine off, went to start it up again and it just clicked once then whirred,
so I tried to bump start it a couple of times with no luck then went to start it and now it just clicks once and nothing else,
tried jump leads but still wouldnt start, battery seems fine.
The engine light is now on as well but this has been on before so I'm told by previous owner.

PS. I work 12 hour nights so I may take a while to reply to people........so dont think I'm being rude and ignoring you lol.

Sponsored Links
Yeah timing belt is fine.......

Noticed I have no headlights, no radio and no wipers, all other electrics are fine though, tried swapping fuses around but still no luck.

Don't have cash to take to garage before anyone suggests that.....

Sorry, after reading your initial post my thoughts off electrical troubles are of little use

Is there oil on the dipstick?

Will the engine turn over easily when you were bump starting it?

Might be worth having a look that the alternator hasn't seized that would account for the electrical issues?

Sponsored Links
maybe a bsi problem if certain electrics have stopped working, google peugeot bsi reset procedure and give it a go.

Sorry, after reading your initial post my thoughts off electrical troubles are of little use

Is there oil on the dipstick?

Will the engine turn over easily when you were bump starting it?

Might be worth having a look that the alternator hasn't seized that would account for the electrical issues?

Thanks for reply.

Yeah theres oil on the dipstick

Didnt turn over at all when bump starting
Even tried jump leads with no luck at all...

Ill get someone to look at alternator

maybe a bsi problem if certain electrics have stopped working, google peugeot bsi reset procedure and give it a go.

Thanks for reply

I have tried that......no luck
Would that stop the engine from turning over thaough, at the moment I'm just getting one click and thats it.......
I'm thinking it may be alternator or electrics...... :(

I would try to turn the engine over by hand first to see if its free.
The metal on metal sound is the confusing part here but the loss of electrics is hard to explain, are you sure the connections to the battery are clean and secure?

I've seen before on forums people use the term 'turn over' incorrectly. If the engine is seriously doing as suggested, i.e. not turning over on a bump start, then you will have had a squeel of tyres or broken transmission when you snatched the clutch up, as the siezed engine acts as a brake. If that's the case then it's probably new engine time.

If it is turning over on bump start, but not firing, check the battery voltage and leads as suggested, and also the earth lead from the body to the gearbox, which should be on the LHS of the engine bay, towards the back IIRC.

Sponsored Links
Back