Help needed replacing switches

Your new switch should make no difference over the old switch.

As others have said, the permanent live for the fan is not in the switch and should make no difference over the old switch.

Have you tried replacing the new switch, as maybe it is faulty and letting a small amount of voltage/current through in the off position what is enough for the fan to start.

Also if you have a multimeter, wire the new switch up like you did before and test the AC voltage between line and neutral at the bathroom light with the switch in the off position and see what you get. You should get 0v

Sponsored Links
Okay latest update....it's working! but I still have a question that I cant answer

Just had a few minutes spare so I tried disconnecting the switched live at the fan as sugested.... When I powered up the circuit with the bathroom light in the off position the fan comes on as originally reported

Switch Power off at the mains and I disconnected the live and leave the already disconnected switched live switched live disconnected at the fan. Power back on... Fan does not run at all
(Now I'm getting somwhere)

Power off again...reconnect the live and the switched live to the same terminals in the fan as before. Power on.....

This time the fan does not run and the both switches are in the off position. (Sounds promising)
So I test the hall way switch, on/off, both hall,way lights work correctly.
I try the bathroom switch, on go the bathroom lights and on goes the fan.

Switch off the bathroom lights, the fan remains on over run. I wait for the over run time to complete and sure enough the fan goes off! Tried this a few times to see if I was imagining things and it works properly every time.
The only difference in my writing is the arrangement of the wires in l1 and l2. I re aranged these so that the rocker switches are in the correct positions when switched on or off.

Can anyone explain this?

I was thinking maybe the over run timer function needs to be completly disconnected from power to fully 'reset' it... Although I would have thought switching the power off at the mains would do this.

I have no idea how I got it to work!
Tell me - do you really think that doing electrical work without actually knowing what you are doing, and hoping to hit on the right way to connect things by accident, is a sensible thing to do?

Sponsored Links
Tell me - do you really think that doing electrical work without actually knowing what you are doing, and hoping to hit on the right way to connect things by accident, is a sensible thing to do?

Of course it's not, however I do feel I have enough electrical knowlede to change a switch/wire plug etc... If I get stuck or have any queries I post on here and usually get some very helpful advice from more knowledgable pros like yourself.
if i really think the job is beyond my skill level I just call in a pro right away.
Perhaps I should have reworded that post a bit better.
The point I was trying to get across was that there was not a significant change in the wiring when things started to work, just in the order that I connected the fan wires in.

I was trying to ask if this could make a difference.

Thanks all for the help anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back