Changing from pull cord to wall switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I have used these forums for various DIY jobs but this is the first time I have posted.
I want to remove the pull cord switch in my bathroom and replace with a standard wall switch in the hall outside the bathroom door.
There is an existing light switch outside the bathroom door that operated the hall light and I would like the replace this switch with one with 2 switches on it (one for the hall and one for the bathroom).
Can you please explain how to wire up this new switch. I can replace the wires between the switch and the light easily enough but what about the mains wires? Is it a case of extending them and running to the new switch location or can I use the wires that are already in place in the existing hall switch in any way?

Sponsored Links
You need to copy the exixting wiring.

So if the pull switch just has one twin+earth cable, you need this to go to the landing switch.

You can do this by replacing that cable with a longer length.

Or you can extend it with the same type of cable. You can use a 20 amp circular junction box if it can be made accessible ie in the loft.

If you have more than one twin+earth cable at the pull switch you can do a junction box and have just one cable going to the switch. Be aware that the joint will consist of four connections;
L, N, switched L, E.

Use earth sleeving on the bare earth wires.

Why do you want the switch on the landing?
People will accidently turn off the light when you are in the bathroom - which will be annoying to say the least.

What is wrong with having a pull switch in the bathroom?

Hi, thanks for the advice. Went to b&q and bought 5m of 1.5mm twin and earth cable, a twin light switch, some green/yellow earth sleaving and a junction box. Cost me £12 in total and got the job done in 30 mins. The hardest bit was feeding the new cable down the wall from the loft to the light switch but not too hard really. My electrician mate checked it over and gave it the thumbs up too.
I wanted rid of the pull cord switch because it is (was) very noisy and the bathroom is next door to my daughters room and I was always worried I was going to wake her up when I went to bed.
I also realised that I had previously registered with this user name (77 not 1977). oops.

Sponsored Links
I'd have kept the pull switch but added a 2-way switch to the hall. Just run 3-core+E between the switches and change one connection in the pull switch.

Now you've touched the wiring for the bathroom, have you opened a can of worms? I don't know what you can do before electrical work in a bathroom becomes notifiable under Part P and how much before it must be protected by an RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back