Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I bought a house with an adjacent parcel of land. The previous owner had planning permission approved for the land to be considered a residential garden and the driveway of the house goes through the land (an approved development). The house and the parcel of land still have separate Land Registry Title Deeds.

I'm curious about a restriction on the title deed and am unsure what it really means so I hope someone can help :)

It says: Nothing shall be done or suffered on the said piece or parcel of land which shall in anywise deteriorate or lessen the value of any adjoining or adjacent land for residential building purposes or which shall be or become a nuisance or annoyance to any owners or occupiers of adjoining or adjacent land or premises.

Now this was written when the land and house were owned by separate people - so the neighbour is now me as we own the land and there are no other properties to the other sides (on one side is a Church graveyard and there are roads on the others).

Is the restriction saying that the land cannot, under any circumstances, be used for residential building purposes? Or is it saying that it can't be used for residential building purposes IF it annoys the neighbours?

I quite fancy one of those shed-like garden offices in the not so distant future and I'm wondering if the restriction will prevent me from having one.

Oh, and the land is Green Belt so I'm sure that complicates matters further also.. :)

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Laura

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-5_16-50-5.png
    upload_2019-9-5_16-50-5.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 276
Sponsored Links
If the covenant was written when the house and land had separate owners, whose house was the land given permission to become the garden to?
You are the only neighbour?

Is the covenant still valid? Is there someone that can come and say "oi! your breaking a covenant"?

Sponsored Links
Best not annoy those neighbours residing in the graveyard, as you never know what that could lead to. :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back