Help needed to re wire a vintage lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Im in the process of re wiring a vintage metal lamp and need some help with the re wire of the in line switch, which is also an old vintage switch. I need to make sure everything is in the right place!

I've attached a picture of the switch. The switch rotates and has 2 off positions and a central on position, I have an idea how to do it but want to make sure first. so if you anyone can confirm the re wire for the live, neutral and earth in to and out of the switch that would be great!

Thanks in advance for your help!

View media item 51326

Sponsored Links
If theres no markings on it, then its unlikely anyonne would know the connections of an old switch like that.
Are you sure the switch is rated for mains voltage and safe to use
Using a continuity tester would proberly be the only way to determine the switching
If The switch is Double Insulated which is hard to tell then the earthwire is likely to pass straight through unbroken
Its possibly designed for the neutral to pass through unbroken also

That looks like the type of switch that was fitted to electric blankets many moons ago!

Theres no markings for the wiring.

Its rated at 2A 250v, its marked on the casing on the inside of the switch. It was unwired when I got it which is why I'm asking, I couldn't just replace as it was.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Well, you are going to need a continuity tester and the knowledge of how to use it with the switch that you have.

Or (better) buy a modern in-line switch.

PS If you switch is only good for 2 amps then you'll need a fuse of 2 amps or lower in the plug.

It's a double pole switch. If you look close you will see the contact quadrant that bridge the fixed contacts.

so if you anyone can confirm the re wire for the live, neutral and earth in to and out of the switch that would be great!
Why don't you just establish which terminals are which by using your multimeter to analyse the workings of the switch?

I would advise NOT to use that switch as

[1] the cable clamping depends on having cable with the correct diameter, too small and the calmp is not effective, too large and the case will not fully close leaving a gap .

[2] there is no route for the earth conductor that does not involve it touching contacts. If the switch is used then the earth wire will need a second layer of insulation as it passes through the switch. How to fit that with out cut the wire ?

[3] the separation between contacts appears to be less than the minimum safe OFF separation of 3 mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back