Help needed to update suspended ceiling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an office style suspended ceiling in my property that was put in by the previous developer.

It is one of the ones with the metal framing and drop in polystyrene tiles. The property is an old Victorian house so as you can imagine it is very ugly and looks terrible!

I am looking for a cheap way of replacing/covering up this monstrosity!

I have considered keeping the metal framing, but attaching some lightweight plaster board or sheet material to the underside so that it can then be papered over or painted?? Would this work?

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What's up above it? can't you just remove it completely?

To my knowledge (correct me if i'm wrong anyone :oops: )
There is not a lightweight plasterboard on the market, sheet metal will also be weighty.
You can buy ceiling tiles though.

The system is likely not to be designed to carry a heavy load, that's why poly-sheet tiles are used.
It could well mean an upgrade to a better system.

This link if you browse through may help you with your options.

http://www.british-gypsum.com/search_results.aspx?Search=suspended ceilings.

but Deluks has asked a question that needs investigating, what is above the ceiling?
Remember considerations of the lighting system and any other supply in the ceiling void will be a factor on what to do and how much you do want to do.

Sponsored Links
Well it`s a **** or bust way . But you could consider lining paper over the whole lot, and if it looks awful , rip it down . :idea: . I know what`ll be above it in the void ...lashed in electrics, plumbing and butchered cornices :cry: . Seen too many like it

Put a new timber & plasterboard suspended ceiling in just below existing?

Rip the lot down, I would not cover it over as the tiles are still a fire risk,,,, if the ceiling looks terrible and you cannot get close enough to over board the existing ceiling (due to coving/cornices etc) then just put a frame up an inch or so down from the existing ceiling, simple to do attach a batton to one wall and then follow it round the room keeping it level and you should! meet back up with the first batton edge, then fix intermediates as needed to support the plasterboard, if you want to build a lighter frame use the thin plasterboard otherwise 12.5.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back