Suspended Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

We are looking to install a suspended ceiling in one of our offices and I don't know if it needs to be fire rated? Obviously better if it is but in my company the cheaper the better!

So its in an office attached to a workshop. There are no breaks in the walls between the workshop. Whilst the office has a normal height ceiling the workshops goes up 8 metres to the roof so there are no cavity's to worry about on the workshop side.

There are no other floors above the office where the suspended ceiling is potentially to be fitted so the space above it will just go to the metal roof. Other then wiring for lighting there are no other services running in the area either.

Help please?

Sponsored Links
As this is an existing office, the fire protection (compartmentation) is via the existing structure, and so any retrospective suspended ceiling is not deemed part the fire protection - although it will contribute towards passive fire protections by virtue of that it is and made of.

Any system you choose would have (should have) inherent fire resistance qualities, and it will be the 'reaction to fire' standard that applies (i.e. limited fire spread), but you wont need to make if a fire-proof compartment ceiling.

You will need to ensure the walls above the ceiling are properly sealed at penetrations and at the roof underside, and that there is no combustible material above the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back