Refurbishing my workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Thanks for taking the time out to read this post.

I have a workshop which was built in the rear of my garden in the early 80's. The house it self is based in East London and the workshop is around 6mX8m wide. The roof is pitched with a height of 4.5 metres at the back and around 2.8m metres at the front, now its mainly been used for storage and has a loft area which you cannot stand upright in.

I have been thinking how I could create a new space, for a gym, office and storage and I wonder if this could work. I have been wondering if we could excavate the rear of the workshop and deepen the floor by 1/2 metres and then create a mezzanine floor above it which could ideally be 2m long and 8m wide - giving me two stories at the rear of the workshop and nothing closer to the front where the height is closer to 2.8m.

Would this be something I could do with the current structure and is there anyone who may be able to advise? Would I need planning permission to do something like this seeing as I am not reconstructing and just modifying the inner floor, structure?

Kind regards,

Sunny

Sponsored Links
It wont be permitted development, and will require planning permission - and planners will likely slap a "no renting or living in" condition on it from that description!

It will need building regulation approval, and the extent of work required will depend on how it was built in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back