Help needed to wire up my new ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need help to wire up my new ceiling light fitting
I have two grey cables coming from ceiling each having one red,black, earth wire
the new light has the plastic connector I did wire it up by putting both the reds together to the red in the connector and did the same with the black to the blue but where does the earth wires go after doing this the light won't switch off can you tell me what I have done wrong where should I have put the wires :?:
Hope you can help :rolleyes: [/quote]

Sponsored Links
Likely reds do not go to lamp but just join together and one black goes to neutral the other is switched line and should have a red sleeve.

Earth depends on type of lamp fitted. If a double square then not required but do not cut off better to put in a connector block and tape up.

GOOD MORNING TO YOU
Dont quite understand your reply if you dont use the red wires how will the light work neither of the black wires have a red sleeve
I also have two on/off light switches in the room does this make a difference :(

Sponsored Links
The red wires are not "unused". As you have two cables this light fitting is at the end of a run. One of the cables is bringing power to the light fitting, the other is the switch wire.

So, one red brings power to the fitting; the second red takes that power to the switch. One of the blacks brings power back from the switch to the light bulb, the second black is the neutral which then runs back to the fusebox/consumer unit. The earths don't do anything except in case of a fault.

Ideally you need to identify which red is bringing in the power and which is going to the switch. In practice you can put the two earths together, the two reds together, one black to each side of the light bulb, and all should work OK. HAvign two light switches doesn't make a difference to the wiring in the light fitting.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back