1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed! Wall coming away from house

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by LiamSando, 20 Mar 2016.

1. LiamSando

LiamSando

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi this is my first post so apologies if it should have been somewhere else. Basically our kitchen wall is coming away from the house and I was wondering if anyone knew why. I can do general bits of bricklaying so would it be something I could do myself? (Put some wall ties in etc) thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. it's not that hard

it's not that hard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That is dangerous,I remember when a young girl was killed when a wall 1 metre high wall fell on her

4. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    LiamSando, Hi.

Agree with last post, there could be a serious problem? But, some further images would assist?

Is the wall above the door lintel going up to a second story? or is there a sloping, or Duo-pitched roof resting on this area of wall?

If the wall continues upward above the Door lintel level, then there is a possibility of what is called "Lateral Restraint"

As above if the wall continues upwards? then wall tie failure can not be ruled out?

If there is a Duo-pitched roof over the problem could be so called "Roof Spread"

Another possible problem is that the lintel or the Lintel bearing may need to be looked at as a possible area of failure

Really need more external images if possible please? including any images of any internal damage.

Sorry if I am asking more questions than providing any sort of an answer, simply not enough digital imaging of the damaged areas.

Ken.

Sponsored Links