Roof Leading Coming Away From Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small extension on the back of our house and the leading appears to be coming away from the wall and water is leaking through into the room below. My understanding was that leading is normally worked into the line of bricks above but in this case the leading just appears to be butted up against the wall. The seal looks fine along most of the roof but towards one end a visible gap has appeared. Any suggestions on what I can do to stop the water coming in would be appreciated.

Lead on roof

Back of house

Sponsored Links
It does look like whoever did it did not seat the top of the lead into the brickwork, as you seem to be aware. They relied on the cement render to do the job.
It really needs re-doing properly. It can't really be done piece meal.
As a temporary repair you could use flashband.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies everyone. I can assure you that it is lead as I've been up on the roof to check. The black to the side of the lead is just the shadow created where the lead has seperated from the wall. Thats the problem i'm trying to solve.

Pleased for you it is lead even if it was never let into the brickwork..(looks like a preformed grp flashing in the pic)
Best bet chase out the brickwork and insert a new lead flashing over the top.

Thanks for your help. An extra layer over the top is what I am now looking into. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back