Help needed - which wood preservative and paint for log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I am putting up my Tuin log cabin next week, and I need help with which wood preserve and paint to use.

I want a finish that is less like a stain and more like a paint. I have been told that Sikkens is a good brand, but not much else. We want a colour between grey and blue, but not too sure if Sikkens does this. I have also seen Dulux weathershield paint. Is this suitable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, choosing paint has been the hardest bit of this project.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Dulux Weathershield used to be good a few years back when I used it to paint my steel narrowboat. The last lot I bought a month or so ago has now become water based and any water based paint in my opinion is a total load of rubbish. I also used Sikkens when I had my boat but apparently the marine division of Sikkens has been closed so I don't know. In my humble opinion any water based paint is rubbish especially if it is to be used outdoors.

Having just trialled most of Osmo's decking oil colours (you can get 5ml tester sachets from Osmo or places like Wood Finishes Direct) trying to find the right colour for our deck I can say that some of the colours definitely end up with a finish that looks more 'paint like' - as in they cover the grain to a degree and have a satin sheen...This is despite the fact that they're oils and not a layer sat on top of the wood. Their oil based stains are basically the same (tried some of them too!) but have additional wood preservatives included (biocides etc). I'd definitely say it's worth getting hold of a few sachets and test on scrap but do be sure to do two coats as the sheen etc does not show on the first coat.

Going this route will make maintenance a hell of a lot easier in the future.

As a note to the above the colour charts on the Osmo site are not great as they've painted the stain on the wood type they're emulating e.g. bangkirai on a piece of bankirai, larch on larch etc. the colour charts on Wood Finishes Direct are better as they've painted the stain on softwood decking boards - although I think it might only be one coat in some instances.

Oh yeah - also the Osmo wood stains can be custom ordered to a specific RAL shade.

Sponsored Links
Ok, after work I went to the Dulux Decoration Center to have a look at options. I.spoke to one of the helpful staff who told me I should look at the Dulux Ultimate Opaque paints. The non quick one is solvent based rather than water, and it.can be mixed into over 600 different colours. I also found an online store that did it 40% cheaper than them!!

Anyway has anyone used it before? It.seems to tick all the boxes for me.

Also what.preserve and primer should I use??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back