Help Needed with a Potterton Lynx Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Can anyone give me some advice re my Potterton Lynx boiler. Its old but is brilliant for heating our radiators but hot water is a problem and its been going on for months. One guy came out and changed the thermostat but all that happened was we could have a shower when the heating was on. Second boiler man came out and changed the divertor valve and now all that happens is that we can have a tepid shower and only when the heating is on. Ive spent over £500 now and it still doesn't work, has anyone else had this problem. I'm hoping it can be fixed and its not a new boiler situation??? :cry:

Sponsored Links
I will assume that you have the original Lynx electronic.

If I recall it has a four pipe heat exchanger.

There are so many causes of poor DHW but poor heat transfer from the flame to the DHW coil is the probably cause but the normal thing would be for a competent CORGI engineer to do diagnostic tests to identify the root cause. Of course not all enginers are as competent as others.

I always wonder why people pay engineers who have replaced parts without fixing the problem.

All I can suggest is that you try to find a competent engineer who will offer a no-fix no-fee repair.

But be aware that this is an old boiler which is overdue for replacement.

The £500 you have paid so far could have gone towards a nice new efficient boiler. Its often false economy to spend money on old cars or boilers just because you dislike spending money per se.

Tony

£500 for a themostat and diverter, sounds a bit steep, what else did they do?

Confirm Lynx Mk.1. or Lynx 2

Hi, hope you don't mind me replying as I am not an expert, but I had a similar problem with my Potterton Lynx 2 boiler. Ours turned out to be low gas pressure (caused by a very slow gas leak!).

The problem gradually worsened until we had no hot water at all. Got the gas leak fixed and boiler as good as new.

What made our problem come to light was that it got to the stage that the gas hob would not work properly if the boiler was going.

Obvioulsy this may not be the cause of yours, but might be worth investigating the mains gas pressure.

Sponsored Links
Stitcher, whilst I appreciate that you are only trying to be helpful, this persons boiler is likely to be the original Lynx, not that that is relevant to what you have said.

Your problem was not as a result of a leak but a blockage, restriction or faulty regulator! You might have had a leak as well but that was not relevant to your problem.

Any half competent CORGi engineer would have checked the gas supply pressure when he started to look at the boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back