Help needed with adding double oven to existing circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
Firstly, apologies if this question has already been answered. Can I add my new double oven to the existing circuit that runs to an electric hob?
There's a 30amp breaker in the consumer unit with 6mm cabling running approx. 8m to the isolation switch then 6mm cable to the hob. The hob is rated at 5.8kw and the oven 4.8kw. The isolation switch is behind the hob so obviously needs moving. The oven and the hob are about 1m apart so I intend to put the control unit slap bang between the two. Can I simply wire the cooker and the hob into a 32amp control unit? Would I need to upgrade the control unit to 45amp and do I need to upgrade the breaker in the consumer unit?
Any help would be gratefully received before I invest in getting professional help!!
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
6mm cable if clipped direct, can carry up to 47A.
So you could change your MCB to a higher rated one ie 45A.
If diversty was applied it is quite likely that 32A would do, but this would reduce your optimum power available.
If you did install a new MCB this would then be considered a new circuit, so part p, notification applies
and RCD protection will be needed if not already there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back