Help needed with double entry rad valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came across the radiator valves shown recently, double entry valve piped on 15mm copper.

ao5n.jpg

If the head is turned the indicator moves across the scale 1-5 but there does not appear to be any change to water flow, ie hot water flows through radiator whatever the setting. It needs about a 90 degree turn of head for the pointer to move across the full scale. The turning action of valve feels quite smooth.

I was wondering if anyone recognizes the valve and could describe its correct working. The heating system is in an property built, I guess around the early eighties and appears to be ex council.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I expect the valve operates just as you expect.

Its possible the plastic head is not turning the shaft.

Tony

Take the head off and see if the spindle is freely moving, push it in and it should spring back out. Is there any more like this in the property ? If there is, find a working one and once the spindle is free swap heads and try that.

A TRV does not regulate the flow of water, is turns off when the selected temperature is reached and turns back on when heat is required.

If the valve pin is moving freely it could be the head is at fault.
Nowadays most manufacturers use the same thread to attach head to body.
A possible fix.

Sponsored Links
Dunno about the valve but I recognise the rad :mad: fitted some in the 70`s - pulled out a few about 3 years ago - you might find it`s a one pipe system - councils sometimes had these crazy " money saving " ideas - Could be a 70`s build - rads might be " daisy chained " together , the valve bypasses water to the next rad etc.

There will be a return pipe that runs across the bottom of the radiator ( internal. It attaches too the valve. Possibly broke off or blocked up.

Nath

Thanks for input and suggestions, I have to go back in the next week or so and will try and get one of the valve apart then.

I should have posted the following picture as well.

The confusion was the turn of 90 degrees to throw the pointer right across the scale suggests TRV, however the head is so thin I could not see how the TRV mechanism would be fitted inside.

Dave

those rads are basically a series of pipes inside the louvred casing - ie. low water content - I`ve got a feeling the valve numbers is a rough guide to how much water is allowed into the rad , the rest bypassing to the next one . It appears very typical of Local Authority to me ;) Be careful when you dismantle the valve - I`ve not seen that particular type , and I bet you`ll not get a replacement .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back