Help needed with selection of nail-proof circular saw blade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a PARKSIDE table saw (bought at Lidl) model PMTS 210 A1. (It's actually made by Scheppach). The blade is dia. 210mm, bore dia., 30mm, 2.6mm kerf, 24 teeth. Riving knife thickness 2mm, max speed 7000 min-1. I was cutting wood then saw sparks, so I stopped. I have the impression (from some read) that I could probably cut through a few nails without wearing out the blade significantly. However, I though maybe I should buy a "nail proof" wood cutting/multi-purpose blade when cutting wood with nails in it.

On that score, I am looking at Evolution R210TCT-24T (Rage) Multi-Material TCT. It's 210mm dia., 25.4mm bore dia., but nothing said about kerf. So, I am wondering, if I got a reducer, would this blade make a good choice for my table saw. So, would it? Or, should I go for some other blade? Thanks. Rich

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084281SO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

EDIT: Not sure of rpm of fitted blade.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi. I think this is one of those cases where no-one is willing to comment either way on whether the product (the Evolution blade) is suitable or not. :) I'll ask the seller or better still, the manufacturer. Rich

The contractor I sub to at the moment has a number of Makita 210mm saws and has the same issue - they can't find a reliable supplier of nail proof saw blades in that size for demolition work (e.g cutting out floors). They did try the Evo blades but weren't happy with either the cut quality in timber (sometimes you need to do a neat cut) or the longevity of the blades. I've tried the Bosch Construct nail proof blade and the equivalent (expensive) Freud nail proof in 230mm size and TBH I wouldn't describe either as anything other than OK-ish in wood, even when new

Sponsored Links
Have tried a Hilti nail proof blade. Cheap and didn't last that long.
Not what you expect from Hilti.
Gonna try a 300mm diamond rescue blade.
Which will cut concrete, glass, metal, timber with nails etc.
Just about anything in fact.

Last edited:
Technically, the manufacturer of Evolution R210TCT-24T (Rage) Multi-Material TCT blade would not condone it's use in my table saw. Which raises the issue would any nail-proof blade be recommended in a table saw setting. Possibly not. In that case, I'd be doing my own thing fitting a nail-proof saw to my table saw. Which I am OK with once I actually manage to find a suitable blade.

Question: Would it be the case that using a nail-proof saw blade would never be recommended for use with a table saw?

You get nails in wood on a site environment where it is not unusual to have to perform tasks such as cutting out already installed flooring, etc. A workshop environment is different because you are mostly using "virgin" timber or at the very least already denailed recycled stock where you shouldn't need to br concerned about hitting inclusions.

As a primary safety consideration when using a portable rip saw you stand behind the tool so most inclusions you hit will tend to be projected downwards or forwards, away from you - on a table saw you face the blade thus any inclusions you strike, or any teeth which are dislodged by a strike, are far more likely to be projected towards you. In addition to make a nail resistant blade there is always a trade off between hardness/sharpness and durability - in order to make a nail proof blade the manufacturer often needs to go to a softer carbide with a larger steel backing.This in effect means you end up with a blade with a lower tooth count (so a courser cut) which isn"t as sharp (because the softer the carbide cannot be ground to the same sharpness as harder grades) - and why would you want to spend more money on an inferior quality of cut on a table saw to deal with materials which are likely to scratch the table surface of your saw (marks which may damage other materials in the future)? Makes no sense to me at all

OK, thanks for the explanation. So, if you encounter nails in wood when using a table saw, you should not seek to fit a nail-proof saw blade. Did not appreciate that being a novice.

Just don't put nail embedded wood across a table saw, ever - check recycled stuff before making all cuts and remove ALL metal, it's only common sense. Only a complete idiot feeds nail embedded timber across a table saw deliberately IMHO. If nothing else, if you run metal through a woodworking blade (nail proof or no) you always end up blunting the blade a bit as well as risking damaging or losing saw teeth (and get a somewhat crapper quality of cut as a result)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just don't put nail embedded wood across a table saw, ever - check recycled stuff before making all cuts and remove ALL metal, it's only common sense. Only a complete idiot feeds nail embedded timber across a table saw deliberately IMHO. If nothing else, if you run metal through a woodworking blade (nail proof or no) you always end up blunting the blade a bit as well as risking damaging or losing saw teeth (and get a somewhat crapper quality of cut as a result)

I did not cut through a nail in the wood but stopped when I saw sparks. I might have cut a 1/8th inch diameter nail in half and that alone blunted my saw blade. Made it unuseable. Admittedly the Parkside blade might not be the best quality, but as you say, i.e. that your wood-cutting blade suffers badly from cutting into nails. That's my experience.

Actually, to be more precise, my experience is that it took little cutting of a nail to blunten my saw. Cutting half a 1/8" nail is not much nail cutting. Also, what is being said here is the Evolution R210TCT-24T (Rage) Multi-Material TCT, or any other blade that is that is nail proof, in not an exception to the rule that you don't cut through wood that has a nail in it on a table saw. That is what I am taking from this thread.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back