Help! Noisy pipes & resetting boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, utter novice here.

After 3 years' untroubled use in my ground-floor rented flat, the Highflow boiler has started acting up. The symptoms are usually increasing sloshing or banging noises from the pipes and radiators (as if air is trapped) getting louder and louder until the boiler, also banging away, trips its thermostat safety switch and cuts out. I've tried turning the water and CH settings right down, I've bled the radiators I can get to (and there is a *lot* of air in them most days). No effect.

I'm no expert and am trying to get a plumber out, but in the meantime I'm concerned as to whether I'm risking permanent damage or a burst pipe/radiator/boiler. I.e., is this something easily explicable and easily fixed or a case for keeping the boiler turned off until a pro gets here?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but I do have exactly the same problem (I have a Glow Worm boiler).
After the banging trips the boiler thermostat, if I leave it for, say, half an hour then reset by pushing in the little red button, everything works fine.
If anyone can provide a solution or explanation that would be great...

I don't know if this is the answer but I had a similar-ish problem with a new installation. Heating system would fire up and run for about 30 min then you could hear the boiler boiling up and banging then shut down. This particular system woul reset itself then repeat this cycle. The problem turned out to be the hot water thermostat not shutting the boiler down when up to heat. Boiler then continued to heat until it's safety cut out operated. In my case it was because the electrician had crossed the wiring between the room thermostat and cyclinder thermostat, and it was summer time and the heating side was not being used, so the room thermostat was being ignored by the rest of the system. Your problems sound similar, so I'd try the cylinder stat. Hope this helps.

I think there is aproblem with the boiler. The symptoms are that the pipes are making lots of noise until you turn the heating off completely. The radiators are staying extremely hot and there is loads of water coming out of the overflow pipe in the roof. We have a back boiler behind the gas fire and a tank in the loft which is where I presume the water is coming from.

Sponsored Links
nickhowson, welcome to the forum :LOL: , I bet they have it fixed by now, as it was origonaly posted in November 2002 :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back