Overheated noisy boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i hope someone can help me... i live in a bungalow and since i moved in the radiators in the front room haven't heated up.It hasn't bothered us until now as it's getting colder so I bought a key to bleed the radiators and bled them. But i fully turned the valves and quite a bit of water came out of some of them, only one radiator had air in. That was on Monday the 29th November and this morning the boiler started banging and making a horrible noise. When i got to it had overheated. We have been snowed in so have switched it on and off a few times to try and get it to come on but now every time i get it on it fires up for a couple of minutes and then makes a terrible hissing and banging noise then overheats. I'm worried i've broke something by letting the water out when i bled the radiators, am i on the right track and is there a simple fix or will i need to call someone in? Any help would be wonderful as I do not want to freeze overnight!

Sponsored Links
9 times out of 10, your heating circulating pump isn't running so it can't disperse the heat from the boiler. I believe there's advice in the FAQ's of how to tickle it back into life, if your luck is in.
If you have a combi boiler, check its pressure - if its an open vented system, check that there is water in the heating header tank.
John :)

pixie10";p="1817970 said:
Hi, i hope someone can help me...

By bleeding your radiators you have probably starved the system of water. Check that there is water in the little head tank in the loft, it should be about half full. If not you will probably find that the float valve is stuck in the closed position, if so move the float up and down to release it.

spraggo

thanks for your replies. I'm not sure if its a combi or open vented system, are there ways of telling? Its a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50 boiler if that makes any sense?! I think i'll go up into the loft and see if there is a tank with water in, if so i'll make sure it's half full and i'll check the float valve isn't stuck. If still no luck then i'll have to get someone in i suppose :( we haven't got much money so trying to research it myself first! thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links
If its a combi boiler there will be a pressure gauge which reads about 0 to 4 bar, with 2 pointers. You generally maintain the pressure at 1 to 1.5 bar.
If you have a copper hot water cylinder then its the other type.
John :)

It;s a heat only, so probably a blockage in the cold feed. The overheat stat is kicking in, I think it tells you on the front panel, O/H orange light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back