Noisy house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I admit it, I know nothing about heaters. The house we just moved into is very old and has baseboard heat with one radiator. The thing gurgles and bangs, then sounds like someone broke a water pipe (lots of running water sounds, like a waterfall). Someone told me that means it needs bled. What does this mean? Is it something I can do or do I need to call a professional?

Ange

Sponsored Links
The radiator needs the trapped air bleeding out.

At the top of the rad will be a small square (or hexagonal) nut.
This may be located at the side or, even behind the top panel.

Basically, you use a bleed key ( or small spanner if you have one to fit) to undo that nut, and lt out the trapped air.

Just undo it carefully and you'll hear the air hiss out.
You keep a cloth handy, and as soon as the air stops hissing water will run out.... .
Then tighten the nut back up.

( Be careful the water doesnt burn you if it's hot)

The house has primarily baseboard heat. The only radiator is in the kitchen (far from the noisy bedroom). Will bleeding the kitchen radiator help the rest of the house? Or is there a way to bleed the baseboards?

Sponsored Links
The heaters run the length of the wall, along the floorboards, and stick out from the wall about 3 inches, and are about 6 inches tall. In this house they run along all of the outside walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back