HELP ON A FUSED SPUR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
JUST A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS REGARDING A FUSED SPUR.

THE 'LOAD' SECTIONS ARE FOR THE ITEM & THE 'SUPPLY' IS FROM THE RING MAINS IS THAT RIGHT ?

ALSO ON THE BACK OF THE FUSED SPUR IT HAS TWO EARTH SCREWS IT SEEMS THE EARTHS CAN GO ON ANYONE (i.e NOT INDICATED LOAD/SUPPLY) ?

THE FUSED SPUR HAD A 13AMP FUSE WHICH I REPLACED FOR A 3AMP FUSE BEING THE RIGHT FUSE FOR THE ITEM IS THAT OKAY TOO ? (WRITING ON BACK OF THE FUSED SPUR SAYS DP 13A 250V IS THAT THE MAX THAT CAN GO INTO IT, NOT A SET RATE, i.e having to go out to buy a 3amp fused spur for a 3amp item)

Sponsored Links
caplock.jpg

Picture courtesy of RF Lighting (well borrowed)

correct, supply is from the circuit, i.e your ring main and load is the equipment/acsesorie/new cable.

the earths from the supply and load should be connected together and to the fcu, i.e put them both in the earth terminal of the fcu! if you have 2 eath terminals they should be linked together anyway via a metal bar more than likelly.

the idea is that the earths are continous and linked to the other earths.

make sure you earth the back box aswell!

fitting the 3A fuse is fine yes, 13A is the max that is alowable to be fitted!

Sponsored Links
industryspark said:
make sure you earth the back box aswell!

Good practice, but is it strictly necessary? I was under the impression that with a box with at least one fixed lug in use, it was not necessary to earth the box?

There is no need to earth a non-metallic box, which it probably will be in the loft. If not, then just run a piece of 1.5 sleeved with G/Y from the terminal on the accessory to the terminal on the box.

I am of the opinion that FCUs should be suppplied with a 3A fuse as standard leaving the user to select a higher rating if it is necessary.
That would be much safer than (as now) when the FCU comes with a 13A fuse and the inexperienced DIYer doesnt think, or know, to put in the correct rated fuse.

Congrats to MARK NHS for spotting the need to have the correct fuse and asking proper questions first.

TTC

the same could be said about plugtops and the supplied fuses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back