HELP ON A STORAGE IDEA...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, not sure if this should be here or in the garden section but i have a side section next to the house that currently has a small shed in it but i was thinking about changing the posts to concrete and putting a roof on it and make it into a large undercover workshop/storage area.
Just need advice from you guys/girls as to wether its doable, what beams id need to get and /or make to support the roof.

it will be at its highest pitch about 7-8 ft from the ground level.

see attached pic of the sort of thing i wanted to do (minus the roof)

thanks all-kev. View media item 38661

Sponsored Links
I can think of two choices:

1. Self-supporting conservatory roof bars, but you'd need about 9 (to cover the 7 metres) and they're not cheap at over £60 each, plus your wall plate.
Then your translucent sheets on top of that. This arrangement would benefit from some support along the top of the concrete posts.

2. Timber wall plate fixed to the house wall along the 7 metre length with joist hangars off for your rafters. Wall plate along the top of the concrete posts with similar arrangement for rafters.
You could add some "ceiling joists" to improve rigidity of the structure. You'd certainly need them at each end.
Perhaps a 150 X 50 for your wall plates and 100 X 50 for your rafters, at a guess.

This was the joist/truss idea i had of making up.....prob with large sections of wood ( 100X 100mm?) and boxed up sides of 18mm chipboard
View media item 38667

Sponsored Links
Iv been looking online at options and saw these...http://www.edecks.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?pid=540

any good for the job?

failing that iv looked at old scafold boards on ebay at 122mm x 39x 3meters.
i thought a couple of these bolted together might be strong enough to make up the joist idea above??.

Garage door at the front so that you get more flexibility and a future owner could put a vehicle in there?

3m width would be enough.

Ferdinand

Don't forget the floor when you've done. Even if it's a solid concrete one now you'll need to somehow damp proof it or anything you store will get rusty/damp.

planning something similar but more pergola esq than garage space.

what are you planning to use as the roof?

WBP Ply? What are you going to clad it with?

on one side i have the wall of the house and on the sides i have the garden fence which i plan to replace or strenghen.
the roof i would either use osb/marine ply with felt or that plastic corrogated stuff to allow light through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back