Help on DIY roof felt repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently purchased a house and after a particularly rainy day I noticed a leak in the bedroom ceiling. Having been up into the loft I've noticed 8 - 10 areas in where the felt is torn through. Most areas are quite small i.e. 10cm2, one is about 35cm x 60cm.....

How easy is it for me to repair this using some felt from somewhere like B&Q? I'm planning to do this myself so wondered whether the was an easy way to approach the repair?

cheers
Eggers

Sponsored Links
its not the felt which keeps your roof watertight, its the slates,tiles or whatever your roof covering is!
look at repairing the tiles ,lead etc first.

ok - yes - thanks - I've found a number of cracked tiles so I'm going to get a roofing ladder and replace these...

Assuming I do this without dying do I need to worry about the felt? Is replacement simply a matter of hooking the new tile in place?

Sponsored Links
I'm going to get a roofing ladder and replace these...

Assuming I do this without dying do I need to worry about the felt? Is replacement simply a matter of hooking the new tile in place?

if you manage to get on your roof without dying :cry: it is relatively easy to get the broken tile out with a bit of persuasion, i dont know whats on your roof but if its tiles they would normaly be head nailed onto the strap, if the tile above isnt nailed then just slide it up to gain access to the broken tile.
if the tile above is nailed give the bottom of the tile a good upward nudge with the handle of your hammer, this should dislodge the nail.

the bits of torn felt wouldnt be an issue with me as in the not to distant past roofs were tiled/slated without any felt.
its up to yourself.....peace of mind i suppose.

remember to make sure the roof ladder is well hooked over the ridge! when you step off the ladder onto the roof ladder the roof ladder will slip down a few inches with your weight transferring onto it dont panic
:D thats supposed to happen.
and tie your ladder onto your guttering.
finally if its still icy or wet down your way postpone untill its dry.

or even better give a roofer £80 to do it for you. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back