Roof repair - can I use torch-on felt nailed only, as underlay (instead of 1f)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a repair to do to my roof. The roof has sarking boards, with 1f felt on top, battens, then slates. I'm repairing a hole in the sarking and felt from where a flue was removed. The whole area to be repaired amounts to approx. 1.2m x 1m.

I was kindly given some felt to use for the repair. I was told it was 1f but I've collected it and it's actually torch on. In fact, I was given two different rolls. One is this stuff:

The other felt is thicker and I'm guessing is used for the top layer in a torch on system? Photo below of that one....

My question is whether either of these can be used instead of 1f for the repair? I'm only looking to nail it, as you would with 1f. Or do I need to make a trip to the BM and fork out for a roll of 1f?

Many thanks

IMG_20231001_194412397.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Hoping to do this repair at the weekend, so any thoughts as to whether I can use either of these torch on felts as a substitute for 1f (and use it in the same way as 1f - i.e. nail it only) would be a great help...

Ta

Excellent, thanks for the response.

Which of the two would you use? The thinner underlay as per the link, or the one I took a photo of, which is much thicker and I presume a top felt?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back