Help on Howdens kitchen quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please could anyone advise if this is a reasonable quote from Howden's (details below).
Its for a Tewkesbury white solid oak doors.
The quote is for the kitchen only - no appliances and no sink.
I've been told I'm getting it at cost price, with the full builders discount applied.
They've also said that it is at October's sale prices.

The total price quoted is £7700. It seems steep to me, but I've never bought a kitchen before, so I've no real reference point.

Thanks.

1 TWW5271 Tww Wh Nh 1000 Hl Base Unit
2 TWW5158 Tww Wh Nh 800 Cu.Cl 2 Dwr Base Unit
1 HYH8174 800 Int SC Shallow Cutlery Dwr
2 ACK1132 800 Pan Dwr Int Storage Pack
1 TWW5145 Tww Wh Nh 600 H/L Int 3 Drawer Base
1 TWW5231 Tww Wh Nh 600 Hl Base Unit
1 TWW5335 Tww Wh Nh 800 Cu.Cl H/L Cnr Base Un
1 ACK1196 800mm Full Extension LH Corner Unit
2 TWW9950 Tww Wh Tower Decor End 2130Mm
1 HKC0071 Adjustable Leg Pack (x4)
1 HYH1190 Brushed Alum-Towel Rail
1 TWW5606 Tww Wh Nh 600 Cu.Cl Sgl Ov/Mv Ap Tw
1 TWW5584 Tww Wh Nh 300 Cu.Cl Larder Cabinet
2 TWW5176 Tww Wh Nh 1000 Cu.Cl D/L Base Unit
1 TWW5904 Tww Wh Nh 600 Hl Appliance Door
1 TWW5251 Tww Wh Nh 800 Hl Base Unit
1 TWW5232 Tww Wh Nh 600 Recycling Bin Base Un
2 TWW5421 Tww Wh Nh 500 Cu.Cl Fh Wall Unit
2 TWW5712 Tww Wh Nh 500 Cu.Cl Fh Glass Wall
1 TWW5421 Tww Wh Nh 500 Cu.Cl Fh Wall Unit
1 TWW5801 Tww Wh Nh 200 Wine Rack
1 TWW5881 Tww Wh Nh 1000 Fr/Fz Bridging Unit
5 TWW9930 Tww Wh Base Decor End 910Mm
4 TWW9940 Tww Wh F/H Wall Decor End 752Mm
4 TWW9950 Tww Wh Tower Decor End 2130Mm
5 TWW9919 Tww Wh Square Cornice/Pelmet
4 TWW9920 Tww Wh Continuous Plinth
2 WOH0980 Oak 40 x 616 x 3000mm Block Worktop
4 WRK3596 Solid Beech Worktop Fittings Pack
1 WRK4010 Bag of Worktop Biscuits
1 GAR0125 Rustins 1 Litre Danish Oil
1 GAR0004 HJ Waterproof Wood Adhesive 500ml
6 GIR0020 Worktop Connecting Bolt
3 HYH6710 Slimline LED Pyramid Lights
2 ACK3162 Circular Plinth Lights
2 HYH5902 Kitchen 500mm Glass Shelf Pack
2 HYH6720 LED 2 light kit Inc drv
31 HKB1237 Nickel Effect 237mm Drawer Handle
1 HYH1312 300mm Pull Out Larder
1 HJS9786 Kitchen Installation Manual April
1 ZZD39 Delivery

Sponsored Links
You need to get at least 3 quotes to find the average/lowest/highest.

Thanks - it's difficult though getting quotes that are exact enough to compare, since you can't get the exact same stuff elsewhere. There always seems enough difference for them to justify their quote.

I have bought 2 kitchens from howdens and found them to be of high quality and well priced.

The carcasses come ready made which will cut down on your installers time and costs

Get your installer to get a howdens trade account and buy it for you

Sponsored Links
I've been told I'm getting it at cost price, with the full builders discount applied.
Yeah right :rolleyes: Unless the builder is a member of your close family, that's highly unlikely.

Anyone with a Howden's trade account knows how the system works and it ain't like that!

Yeah right :rolleyes: Unless the builder is a member of your close family, that's highly unlikely.

Anyone with a Howden's trade account knows how the system works and it ain't like that!

Yes, that's what I suspected. How does it work?

How much do you think I should be able to negotiate down, in terms of a percentage?

Thanks.

Sorry but I can't reveal details - trade secret and all that ;) and if I did I'd have to kill you :eek:
Not to mention the death threats I would get from the tradesmen on here. I just don't like customers being 'hoodwinked' that's all. Although I didn't say it was impossible, just highly unlikely!

I have copied your list and am ringing a few suppliers for you to save you the trouble.
Might take me a few days but its a lot of work for you to do all by yourself! ;)

What he said.

If you ask someone to buy and install a kitchen for you they can charge what they like. Not to say you're getting fleeced, but with only 1 price to go on, you have no reference point. Howdens are a bit pricier, but as said are well made.

Other kitchen suppliers are out there, you could always order a kitchen from somewhere yourself and a get a fitting only price from a fitter/chippie.

You will however be doing all the legwork, especially when the wrong bits turn up and you have a carpenter standing about in your kitchen twiddling his thumbs because the wrong hinges have been sent. (worst case scenario and all that)

And when he wants a part or a box of screws... will you dash out....

No doubt you will and buy the cheapest option... but when it fails.... Who will you blame then....

No doubt another topic on here blaming ****e tradesmen....

Just to add, you have been given a quote straight from the computer program. There will likely be numerous bits left over, including those oh-so-precious end panels which bump the price up considerably.

The accessories such as hinges, legs, danish and handles can all be had much cheaper (in bulk) from other suppliers. But you need to know what you need and what you don't, and that's half the skill in being a kitchen fitter!

Howdens will price match and beat competitors know someone that had a price of 3800 from them got another quote for 2800 and they went to 2600 no quibble whatsoever.

At the other end of the scale a mate is designing an extension and the kitchen which is around 20 by 25 feet the kitchen is costing 71k and the firm wont even connect up the appliances or sink etc as they say we fit kitchens we dont plumb etc.

Sponsored Links
Back