Help - patches from testing pots showing through!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried a couple of spots on my newly plastered wall to see if the colour I have chosen looked ok. Today the paint has done a mist coat and then one of the colour coats and my two patches look unpainted.

I'm not sure if I either used a vinyl or washable sample (i've thown it away as it was done) the paint we have used today is a plain white trade matt white and then a dulux standard range paint.

Any advice ojn how to get rid of without having to do several coats?

Sponsored Links
Firstly vinyl silk is washable, what has happend here is that you are trying to obliterate thickly applied paint with thiner coats and perhaps trying to cover a stronger colour with white emulsion.

As you have found at this stage it does'nt work to well but all is not lost,
if the test areas have been very heavily applied no amount of further emulsion paint will either hide or mask the original defects, and further prep will be needed.

You will need to abrade over these patches with around 180 to 240 grit this should sort out the problem, yet if I were you after abrasion I would paint over the patches with an oil based u/c that should fully obliterate those nasty patches, take care here to feather out your paint to a mere nothing.

Dec.

I can't add anything else to TheDec's sage advice but a couple of points might help you in the future.

Tester pots- the horribly expensive little ones, are normally matt emulsion. Because of the size of the tin people often use a small brush and apply the paint thickly (understandably) because they are trying to get an accurate representation of how the colour will look.

When I turn up on site I then have to sand the paint back. Sanding the paint back is not an issue per se unless the walls have previously been painted with silk which overheats, or the previous texture was very stippled. I now have a flat area on the wall that requires me to try to reproduce the stippled texture.

I normally recommend that clients paint onto lining paper and then tape that to the walls. It also has the advantage of being movable which means that clients can reposition it according to the path of day light throughout the room.

I normally recommend that clients paint onto lining paper and then tape that to the walls. It also has the advantage of being movable which means that clients can reposition it according to the path of day light throughout the room.

I say the same. Good tip.

Sponsored Links
Hear hear!!

My wife painted the name of each colour (and there were several) in big dribbly letters onto the freshly plastered walls.

How hard it was to keep my cool for all those hours spent chiselling, scraping and sanding it all off. LOL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back